first gear slipping

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

clownracer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ughhhhh this means im going to need a new transmission right? if so can anyone speculate how long this one will last? how much should i be looking to pay to have mine rebuilt?

_Dylan_

STAY FROSTY
Reaction score
Rebuilt is going to be roughly around $2000 depending on where you take it.

xanatost

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Or rebuild it your self. It's really not that hard and there is a ton of info and DVDs to walk you thru it. I did mine and for 500 in better parts she is running like a champ. I fixed all the bad things about the 4l60e wile she was down. I take mine off road all the time :)

OP
OP
C

clownracer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Or rebuild it your self. It's really not that hard and there is a ton of info and DVDs to walk you thru it. I did mine and for 500 in better parts she is running like a champ. I fixed all the bad things about the 4l60e wile she was down. I take mine off road all the time :)

how many special tools did you need?

gpracer1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
In the meantime, put it in 2 and it will take off in second gear. At least you won't be frying the fluid.

retorq

Full Access Member
Reaction score
how many special tools did you need?

Let me first say there is no way xanatost spent $500 on parts AND was able to "fix all the bad things wile its down". Maybe they think they fixed it but they are kidding themselves.

My current rebuild is $1400-1500 and there are a few things that I didn't upgrade do to money. Upgrading the input housing to the Sonnax smart-tech itself is over $500 ... My first rebuild was $1200-1300 in parts and I had a shift kit, new convertor, smart shell and a few other upgraded parts, nothing like this rebuild though. This rebuild was all upgraded parts and a rebuild kit.

The only trans specific tool I needed was an input drum spring compressor. If you have a press you can do that without the "special" tool.

Gzes

the drifting 2dr
Reaction score
Mine was rebuilt for $1200 by the best in the area. It was also reinforced so depends on where u live

OP
OP
C

clownracer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ok little back story im pretty sure this truck was sitting a LONG time before i got a hold of it.....yesterday when the trans was slipping was its maiden voyage...... today i got in it and everything was working normally first gear was fine even when i gave it 1/2-3/4 throttle......im hoping(naively im sure) that maybe the clutch pack dried out or something.....

so im thinking i should just toss a corvette servo in there for 17 bucks change the fluid and filter and cross my fingers itll make it through the winter

does that sound like a good idea? if so what is the best fluid/filter i can get?

retorq

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I wouldn't go sticking any performance parts in there without knowing what or if anything is wrong.

The clutch pack wouldn't have dried out, when you start the truck the convertor is spinning and pumping fluid.

OP
OP
C

clownracer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I wouldn't go sticking any performance parts in there without knowing what or if anything is wrong.

The clutch pack wouldn't have dried out, when you start the truck the convertor is spinning and pumping fluid.

i know the corvette servo has more holding power then stock so i was hoping it could extend the life of the trans a bit....think it will do more harm then good?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Luggz