Finally found a replacement

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DeepEmissions

Reaction score
Well here she is, not quite as loaded at the Yukon that we totalled.
2014 Suburban LT, 5.3L, 4x2, and I like the dash color.
All in all not a bad price for the current market for it at $13K with 108K on the clock.
I do have a couple questions:
The backup camera looks like it might've got water inside it, what's a good aftermarket replacement that will fit properly with little to no modifications?
AFM kinda scares me a little, should I drop the money to remove it or just let it ride?
IMG_20230319_084859.jpgIMG_20230319_084902.jpgIMG_20230319_084854.jpgIMG_20230319_084856.jpgIMG_20230319_084858.jpg

Sam Harris

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Nice looking rig, and great low mileage!

AFM: disable 100% ASAP. If you’re up for it, a mechanical disable would be preferred, and of course, there would be a nice list of “while you’re in there” parts.. :naughty: , but definitely do the AFM disable, via a Range device, or similar.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Looks to be in great shape and that price is a steal!

I don't know about aftermarket cameras, sometimes there are used ones with your color on Ebay, otherwise a new camera with the applique is about $500 and needs to be painted or covered with chrome cover.

As for AFM, get the truck tuned by BlackBear and have him turn it off. Your truck has all the latest improvements and it is quite reliable but still prone to failure when the solenoids get out of time. As always, keep the oil and transmission fluid clean and fresh and she'll last a long time.

OP
OP
DeepEmissions

DeepEmissions

Reaction score
Nice looking rig, and great low mileage!

AFM: disable 100% ASAP. If you’re up for it, a mechanical disable would be preferred, and of course, there would be a nice list of “while you’re in there” parts.. :naughty: , but definitely do the AFM disable, via a Range device, or similar.
Would you suggest TSP, or is there someone else I can get the parts from that are more economical in price?

OP
OP
DeepEmissions

DeepEmissions

Reaction score

Looks to be in great shape and that price is a steal!

I don't know about aftermarket cameras, sometimes there are used ones with your color on Ebay, otherwise a new camera with the applique is about $500 and needs to be painted or covered with chrome cover.

As for AFM, get the truck tuned by BlackBear and have him turn it off. Your truck has all the latest improvements and it is quite reliable but still prone to failure when the solenoids get out of time. As always, keep the oil and transmission fluid clean and fresh and she'll last a long time.
Good to hear from ya Swathdiver!

Is the camera attached to that whole plastic section of the hatch and I have to buy the whole thing for just a camera?

When the engine oil is due, I'll send a sample of it and trans oil to Blackstone for analysis.

I noticed you said "when" the solenoids get out of time and not "if"
That sounds like a good reason to at least tune it out ASAP and mechanically remove it also ASAP, lol.

Sam Harris

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Would you suggest TSP, or is there someone else I can get the parts from that are more economical in price?
I haven’t done any research on the disable kit myself, since my rig is an NBS, but TSP was my go-to for virtually all of my recent head and cam work. They’re not the cheapest, but definitely have quality parts.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Good to hear from ya Swathdiver!

Is the camera attached to that whole plastic section of the hatch and I have to buy the whole thing for just a camera?

When the engine oil is due, I'll send a sample of it and trans oil to Blackstone for analysis.

I noticed you said "when" the solenoids get out of time and not "if"
That sounds like a good reason to at least tune it out ASAP and mechanically remove it also ASAP, lol.

Yes, the camera is attached to the applique by plastic tabs being melted into it, like we used to do when building models as kids.

When someone tried to steal my applique, we RTV'd the camera to the applique and called it a day. It raised the picture just enough to see the rear bumper.

AFM was turned off in my truck through the tune 66,000 miles ago and all the hard parts are still there. I no longer worry about it like when we first got it and was reading all these posts across the internet about it failing.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Which service did you choose through BBP?
Thinking about getting a second hand AutoCal V3 for any future updates and/or uses for other Chevy owner friends.
Justin tuned that truck in person and I have the older AutoCal for updating it and we used that to remotely tune the 2012. We'll do the 2013 sometime this year too.

OP
OP
DeepEmissions

DeepEmissions

Reaction score
Justin tuned that truck in person and I have the older AutoCal for updating it and we used that to remotely tune the 2012. We'll do the 2013 sometime this year too.
AutoCal V3 ordered.
@swathdiver if you need to use it you're welcome to it just spot me the extra license fee.
That goes for anyone around the Okeechobee area, I'm sure I'll only get a couple tunes out of it and leave it alone for a while... Ya know, until some calls to TSP and Motion Raceworks happen anyways, lol...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
labans