FI or crate

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Drwinlied

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Supercharging the tahoe is a want of mine. But with that and the necessary trans build, the $$ add up real quick. Then at the end of it all it's a supercharged engine with a bunch of miles already on it.

Would it not make more sense to go the crate route? Just looking into now but there are eng/trans kits and what look to be some good sellers out there.

Hot rod customs on fleabay has some nice looking engines, for example, but aside from the sweet whine, I feel like the crate route might make more sense...crazy?

OP
OP
Drwinlied

Drwinlied

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Easy Choice- Do you want to drive it more or fix it more?
Haha I'm not sure which route would lead to this more. The more I think of throwing a blower the more it becomes a mess of parts and upgrades in my head. Basically a whole engine refresh plus trans...why not just go new. Sure, you dont get a blower but you get a fresh motor making way more than the current '12 5.3.... The fact not a lot of ppl seem to go this route means I haven't thought of something important haha

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Haha I'm not sure which route would lead to this more. The more I think of throwing a blower the more it becomes a mess of parts and upgrades in my head. Basically a whole engine refresh plus trans...why not just go new. Sure, you dont get a blower but you get a fresh motor making way more than the current '12 5.3.... The fact not a lot of ppl seem to go this route means I haven't thought of something important haha

A "fresh" naturally-aspirated Gen4 5.3 making "way more" power than the current 2012 5.3? What's been done to it and will it complement a blower?

OP
OP
Drwinlied

Drwinlied

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A "fresh" naturally-aspirated Gen4 5.3 making "way more" power than the current 2012 5.3? What's been done to it and will it complement a blower?
Well the new crate could be a 6.2 or an ls3...and "way more" in terms of you're getting what, 100hp from a blower? That's basically starting point 6.2 vs what mine was rated fresh.

It isn't crazy to get a 500hp drop in for close to the cost of just a blower.

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well the new crate could be a 6.2 or an ls3...and "way more" in terms of you're getting what, 100hp from a blower? That's basically starting point 6.2 vs what mine was rated fresh.

Oh- you're talking about going bigger. I understood it as a rebuilt and modded 5.3. I'm tracking now. A blower would be around 150HP at least, and gobs more low-end torque than even a 6.2.

It isn't crazy to get a 500hp drop in for close to the cost of just a blower.

But, 500HP NA has drawbacks, particularly a moderate cam. This would require a looser converter and a hit to fuel economy. With a blower, you can maintain your MPGs when cruising and have a more docile engine any time you want. You'd also keep your low-end power, actually have lots more with a blower. Also, if/when that 500 NA gets boring, what'd be the next step? Depending on the cam, it might be a waste if you decide to add a blower. Starting out with a fresh, but stock(ish?) 5.3 or 6.2 then boosting it later as desired seems more economical in all aspects.

I'm not arguing and saying "you're wrong". Just spilling my thoughts on each side of the coin. They key is to decide what you want and what you're willing to spend and stick to it. Switching up mid-game and/or getting bored soon after is pricey.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Drwinlied

Drwinlied

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Oh- you're talking about going bigger. I understood it as a rebuilt and modded 5.3. I'm tracking now. A blower would be around 150HP at least, and gobs more low-end torque than even a 6.2.

But, 500HP NA has drawbacks, particularly a moderate cam. This would require a looser converter and a hit to fuel economy. With a blower, you can maintain your MPGs when cruising and have a more docile engine any time you want. You'd also keep your low-end power, actually ahve lots more with a blower. Also, if/when that 500 NA gets boring, what'd be the next step? Depending on the cam, it might be a waste if you decide to add a blower. Starting out with a fresh, but stock(ish?) 5.3 or 6.2 then boosting it later as desired seems more economical in all aspects.

I'm not arguing and saying "you're wrong". Just spilling my thoughts on each option. They key is to decide what you want and what you're willing to spend and stick to it. Switching up mid-game and/or getting bored soon after is pricey.
No arguing here. Was hoping to hear thoughts both point and counterpoint.

It's the age-old "but for x $ more I could..." and then push yourself into a purchase 5 brackets higher than u started. Haha no not really. More like, it's going to cost X to put a blower on my 150xxx engine and I need a min of Y in supporting mods. Im left with something great but still a fairly tired foundation.

That total cost is relatively close to a new eng/trans kit of a potentially a much better starting point for future build or just a flatout close enough performer.

Very good point on even a higher hp 5.3 having the power higher...a blower really does do the trick for "right now". LSA kits are disco'd so...can't start there...and lt4 kits sure are spendy...lol

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No arguing here. Was hoping to hear thoughts both point and counterpoint.

It's the age-old "but for x $ more I could..." and then push yourself into a purchase 5 brackets higher than u started. Haha no not really. More like, it's going to cost X to put a blower on my 150xxx engine and I need a min of Y in supporting mods. Im left with something great but still a fairly tired foundation.

That total cost is relatively close to a new eng/trans kit of a potentially a much better starting point for future build or just a flatout close enough performer.

Very good point on even a higher hp 5.3 having the power higher...a blower really does do the trick for "right now". LSA kits are disco'd so...can't start there...and lt4 kits sure are spendy...lol

You're gonna need a built trans, regardless. If you can get a built trans and mild engine combo for what a blower kit would cost, then go with that for now.

Mod the stock engine (forged internals, boost-friendly cam, etc.) for boost then swap it in and sell the low-mileage "combo" engine to recoup a chunk to go towards the blower.

If yours has only 150K and has been maintained and passes a health test (compression, visual inspection of cylinder walls, no noises, current maintenance items checked off, etc.), it should handle a reasonable amount of boost just fine. It might not be your ultimate goal of Mr. Right, but it could be your Mr. Right Now. Get a good trans and a blower kit and have fun.

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I did a Whipple on my 6.0 at 150k. Soon after I did a cam and longtubes. Then a Performabuilt trans built for 800 hp and billet converter after I blew the old 4l60 up. There’s nothing wrong with installing a blower on an LS with high mileage as long as it hasn’t been abused and has been decently taken care of. I wouldn’t trade for a crate engine. I can run around town taking it easy if I wanted to although I just tend to drive fast all the time. The truck is an absolute blast to drive. I haven’t had it dynoed but I know I got a lot more than an extra 100 hp out of the power adders. One thing to keep in mind is if you go the blower route it’s fairly easy, I installed mine in a weekend and drove to work on Monday. Then you can do the rest in stages. The cam can be done with the blower in place, I did mine that way. The other upgrades can be done as time and money becomes available. I did start with a 6.0. You didn’t mention what you have but I’m assuming it’s a 5.3? The Whipple I bought was a 2.1L but they’re 2.3L now. You can buy a smaller pulley also for more power as long as your fuel supply is enough. I bought a smaller one but my injectors and fuel pump are maxed out plus I kept breaking stuff so I decided I’m good and went back to the bigger one lol.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gudmat