FI or crate

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
Drwinlied

Drwinlied

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Plus blowers look and sound cool. ;)View attachment 365441
Blowers 10000% sound/are awesome. I love whine in all forms. Previous vehicle I did solid mounts for motor and trans plus solid shifter bushings. Nvh was thru the roof but it was straight rally car and throw bearing sounded like marble in a blender. I loved it. The wife did not.

Yes I do just have a 5.3. I bought it used with 120x on the clock. All I know about the history is regular oil changes. First thing I did was new plugs, wires, fluids, and dod kill via cheat ( tuner vs hard parts). Its been flawless so far but I'm no mechanic. The engine has gulped in God knows how much dirt right thru the TB because the airraid coupler is basically dry shot and keeps coming loose. Now that I type thus I need to order a replacement because I ALWAYS forget until I'm under the hood and then forget again right after I reattach & close lol

Easy route seems most reasonable, blower/trans fix/build from there...but I'm an idiot and am known to buy replacement parts for things are KNOWN to go bad vs bad. I refer to it as research overload...WAY too much time on forums reading about what went wrong vs just doing what makes sense. It's why my tiny living room is filled with way overkill speakers/subs vs just buying something logical which would likely have sufficed. Had I never known/read about the other stuff, I would have been fine with a basic setup lol

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You and I are alike. lol

Blowers 10000% sound/are awesome. I love whine in all forms. Previous vehicle I did solid mounts for motor and trans plus solid shifter bushings. Nvh was thru the roof but it was straight rally car and throw bearing sounded like marble in a blender. I loved it. The wife did not.

I prefer a turbo whine, but am not opposed to a twin screw whine!

Yes I do just have a 5.3. I bought it used with 120x on the clock. All I know about the history is regular oil changes. First thing I did was new plugs, wires, fluids, and dod kill via cheat ( tuner vs hard parts). Its been flawless so far but I'm no mechanic. The engine has gulped in God knows how much dirt right thru the TB because the airraid coupler is basically dry shot and keeps coming loose. Now that I type thus I need to order a replacement because I ALWAYS forget until I'm under the hood and then forget again right after I reattach & close lol

Give it a deep checkup and look under the valve covers to gauge the cleanliness of the insides then proceed accordingly. To celebrate 200K miles, I tore mine apart for an AFM delete with mild head work, a mild-moderate cam and supporting mods. Been romping on it with minimal reserve ever since.

Easy route seems most reasonable, blower/trans fix/build from there...but I'm an idiot and am known to buy replacement parts for things are KNOWN to go bad vs bad. I refer to it as research overload...WAY too much time on forums reading about what went wrong vs just doing what makes sense.

Nothing wrong with being proactive. Double-working sucks and can be expensive, especially when one-time-use items are involved, such as head gaskets. You gotta remain logical and rational, though.

It's why my tiny living room is filled with way overkill speakers/subs vs just buying something logical which would likely have sufficed. Had I never known/read about the other stuff, I would have been fine with a basic setup lol

Indeed, we are alike. I recently sold off a bunch of speakers and simplified my living room stereo. I don't even have a subwoofer any more. I have a nice Yamaha Cinema DSP receiver on two KLH speakers behind the TV. At higher volumes during an action scene, an average listener, blindfolded, would be hard-pressed to determine if it was surround sound or not. Day before yesterday, I bought another very similar receiver that has a few more features (AirPlay, network capability, app controls, etc.), but a little less power. I'll keep one and offload the other. Maybe. It'll probably end up replacing the Fisher in the shop.

OP
OP
Drwinlied

Drwinlied

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't even have a subwoofer any more.
Listen here u sick f*cker..of all the things to compromise on, a SUB?? My room is 11x14 on a good day and I have 2 15" and a dual 18" and a 21" on order...NEVER the sub....

Turbos are a great noise too, esp with a good bov and alum intakes, but I like the more mechanical sound of a supercharger. Hell, I love all sorts of air noise. I remember flipping the air filter cover on my 350 when I was 16 to get that induction noise...that 1/2 gap was all the difference (that's what she said).

But really tho u r right, prepared is good, paranoid isn't. Do what makes sense. Unfortunately that hasn't worked for me yet, but hey ;)

Also, super funny u did a mild afm build at 200k, because this all truly started with me starting there, then saying why not a blower if I'm doing afm delete cuz the motor is already apart enough...then it was, well, if I'm doing all this shit, how much is just a whole new engine...lol

Last edited:

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Listen here u sick f*cker..of all the things to compromise on, a SUB?? My room is 11x14 on a good day and I have 2 15" and a dual 18" and a 21" on order...NEVER the sub....

I'M the sick fücker?! Your room is literally a giant 6th order bandpass enclosure! Ever heard of grey area? Jeebus...

I didn't say that I was proud of it, other than cleaning up the joint. But, a movie trailer started playing as I was tweaking the EQ. I felt buzzes in the couch and in my chest- 13' away. This is from two large bookshelf speakers with 6.5" main drivers, tucked tightly behind and firing forward through the TV. With how little TV I actually watch, I left it. I'm digging the "invisible" surround system. I had an idea to do some in-walls and use thin screen printed "paintings" to hide the speakers. But, that'd make for some odd wall deco placement. Audio vs. visual.

Turbos are a great noise too, esp with a good bov and alum intakes, but I like the more mechanical sound of a supercharger. Hell, I love all sorts of air noise. I remember flipping the air filter cover on my 350 when I was 16 to get that induction noise...that 1/2 gap was all the difference (that's what she said).

Have you seen the Engine Masters episode where they tested all sorts of intake/filter configurations, including the flipped lid? I know function didn't matter at 16- I did the same on my first ride, a '91 Blazer. But, if you ever wanna remind yourself of how dumb we actually were back then...

Speaking of, I found the cleaning and re-oiling kit for the K&N on my stepdad's Harley. I soaked my Fram air filter on the Blazer in the K&N oil, thinking that'd give me some kind of horsepower boost. The orange rubber with burgundy paper peeking out from under that flipped lid meant nothing less than "high performance". The K&N oil puddled at the bottom of the air cleaner housing was just excess power that little 4.3 couldn't absorb.

But really tho u r right, prepared is good, paranoid isn't. Do what makes sense. Unfortunately that hasn't worked for me yet, but hey ;)

There's a first time for everything. Don't worry, TYF is a safe space and you're free to confess your follies here for our amusement.

Also, super funny u did a mild afm build at 200k, because this all truly started with me starting there, then saying why not a blower if I'm doing afm delete cuz the motor is already apart enough...then it was, well, if I'm doing all this shit, how much is just a whole new engine...lol

Well, you don't wanna have to take it apart any more than once, right? Surely the labor far outweighs the expense. :Good or Bad:

OP
OP
Drwinlied

Drwinlied

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Get yourself an acoustically transparent screen for hiding speakers. In-walls are a huge compromise on sound but a huge win on hiding sound sources. I went the "giant black box" route for subtlety of both speakers and subs. Now no matter what I get the wife should like it more haha. If this was our forever home I'd purpose build a theatre but I just get to screw around for now.

I don't even want to think about all the stupid crap I did to be "faster" back in the day. I think back to some of the races we had and how utterly clueless we all were. Sure was fun tho.

13UpInSmoke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So more cubes, turbo or supercharger if towing is in the cards?? Definitely want more power but not sure which direction would be most beneficial?

Geotrash

Dave
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So more cubes, turbo or supercharger if towing is in the cards?? Definitely want more power but not sure which direction would be most beneficial?
You can get a lot of added power out of the right cam. I tow with a cammed 6.2 and it has all the power I need.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
patrickleeleep