Fan Recall #16145

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JGrace920

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
So, I've been looking on the site and reading about the initial recall (#16145) on the cooling fans for PPV Tahoes. I originally brought mine into the dealer 5/31/2018 to get this service done and everything had been fine since then. a week ago today I was driving and noticed the temp had just passed 235F, so I parked to let it cool off. Brought it to a shop that wouldn't fix it due to the liability of "vehicle may catch on fire" from the recall, so I brought it to the dealer here. The dealer has confirmed that cooling fans quit working, the wiring harness had melted at the connectors, and the fuse block had melted, but they could get it fixed up for just a little over $1300.

Initially, he tried to assure me that they were different components from the recall in 2018, but after walking him through the parts list from the receipt, he agreed that essentially everything they replaced from the recall work needs to be replaced again, "at my cost because the warranty is up and the recall has been closed".

Has anyone else had the same experience after getting the cooling fan recall service work done, or does anyone have advice on how to proceed? Logically, it seems like the recall would still be relevant, as the know bad parts broke down and caused a bunch of damage.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
all the recall involved was replacing the harness at the fan connector, they snipped the wire and put on a new connector.
you could fix this issue yourself for much much less.
replace the fuse block, harness, and I would just go ahead and replace the fans as well.
there is no programming or anything involved just plug-n-play, you can find all of that on ebay or junkyard
probably run you $300 in parts (used)

RooTBeeRthe1st

Full Access Member
Reaction score
all the recall involved was replacing the harness at the fan connector, they snipped the wire and put on a new connector.
replace the fuse block, harness, and I would just go ahead and replace the fans as well.
there is no programming or anything involved just plug-n-play, you can find all of that on ebay or junkyard
I heard the issue was related to moisture causing bad connections getting hot, since I'm in Southern California I have just ignored it. But if that's all they change, I have a whole kit of Deutsch connectors and I'll just replace it myself!
Good news, thanks.
Guess I'll have to figure out how to tell them to stop sending me notices for the recall.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I heard the issue was related to moisture causing bad connections getting hot, since I'm in Southern California I have just ignored it. But if that's all they change, I have a whole kit of Deutsch connectors and I'll just replace it myself!
Good news, thanks.
Guess I'll have to figure out how to tell them to stop sending me notices for the recall.
ya I looked into it when I upgraded my fans from the 500w to 700w, read about the recall and really couldn't find much more info, so I went to the dealer parts department and we did a little digging comparing the 500w and 700w they use the same relay and harness, they also said the fan recall just involved changing the harness connector and he showed me one, all they did design wise was add a little more plastic on the female connector I assume to keep the hot wires from melting together and causing the short.

OP
OP
JGrace920

JGrace920

TYF Newbie
Reaction score

I guess I could be reading it wrong, but it looks like they replaced the following parts in 2018 as part of the recall:
  • 20903477 - Motor Kit
  • 84302501 - Shroud
  • 15698443 - Clip
  • 84220391 - Sleeve
  • 13580874 - Connector
  • 11549388 - Clip
So if I look up those part numbers, I guess maybe they didnt replace the whole fan, just the motors?

Recall Parts List.jpg

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I guess I could be reading it wrong, but it looks like they replaced the following parts in 2018 as part of the recall:
  • 20903477 - Motor Kit
  • 84302501 - Shroud
  • 15698443 - Clip
  • 84220391 - Sleeve
  • 13580874 - Connector
  • 11549388 - Clip
So if I look up those part numbers, I guess maybe they didnt replace the whole fan, just the motors?

View attachment 280426
looks like they replaced the whole fan assembly and the connector in that case, generally the shroud, fans and motors are sold separate, that's why the extended price on the motors is 2x, why they added $80 to the shroud cost I don't know dealer markup I guess.

OP
OP
JGrace920

JGrace920

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
looks like they replaced the whole fan assembly and the connector in that case, generally the shroud, fans and motors are sold separate, that's why the extended price on the motors is 2x, why they added $80 to the shroud cost I don't know dealer markup I guess.

Yeah, I guess my frustration comes from all of these replaced parts burning out in under 3 years and about 35k miles

Shackman7878

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah, I guess my frustration comes from all of these replaced parts burning out in under 3 years and about 35k miles
Call Gm direct and see what they can do with your issue they are good about customer service might pay for the whole thing or half.

BG1988

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So, I've been looking on the site and reading about the initial recall (#16145) on the cooling fans for PPV Tahoes. I originally brought mine into the dealer 5/31/2018 to get this service done and everything had been fine since then. a week ago today I was driving and noticed the temp had just passed 235F, so I parked to let it cool off. Brought it to a shop that wouldn't fix it due to the liability of "vehicle may catch on fire" from the recall, so I brought it to the dealer here. The dealer has confirmed that cooling fans quit working, the wiring harness had melted at the connectors, and the fuse block had melted, but they could get it fixed up for just a little over $1300.

Initially, he tried to assure me that they were different components from the recall in 2018, but after walking him through the parts list from the receipt, he agreed that essentially everything they replaced from the recall work needs to be replaced again, "at my cost because the warranty is up and the recall has been closed".

Has anyone else had the same experience after getting the cooling fan recall service work done, or does anyone have advice on how to proceed? Logically, it seems like the recall would still be relevant, as the know bad parts broke down and caused a bunch of damage.
Get in contact with the NHTSA get documentation etc... that it has been done Photos will help May even have to call them...

since GM has been known to do multiple recalls for the same thing

Gm has 3 recalls for fires on the 3800 engine but they fixed it on the 3rd time by fully replacing the seals and valve covers....

NHTSA will not have an issue with doing a second recall on the matter ...

I would check the part numbers maybe they installed faulty parts (aka recalled parts)... after recalls they revise the part number