'Factory' Service Manuals - The Cheap DVDs: a review

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

R Black

Reaction score
I recently purchased a DVD that supposedly has all the factory service manual content for the 2015-20 Tahoe/Yuk/alade both long (subbrbn.) and short WB.

I paid between $20-30 looked for the one that seemed the most legit and from someone with a decent seller reputation. I won't divulge exactly who I got it from. There are several people selling these on eBay, I believe.

When it arrived it was actually a home burned DVD. Though some of the illustrations online would lead you to believe it was silk screened with an official label, when it arrived it was just a disc with some writing in pen on it. Okay . . . fine.

Basically it was a GIANT pdf of . . . . what is apparently or not apparently the factory service manual. If it's a pdf of the actual pages then ... I have not seen the new style of service manuals and the layout and writing KINdaaah SUCKS. That is not 'on' the guy who sold me the DVD, that's 'on' GM, if this is truly reflective of the way GM wrote it.

At any rate, the CD is not interactive, meaning there is no programming on the CD for navigation and for indexing. However, once you get the hang of it, and follow the sellers instructions it's not that bad.

Basically you have to navigate using the Adobe PDF reader interface/GUI. It's low buck . . . would it be nicer if it was all pretty, better layed out, and had built-in programming for navigation? Yes. BUT. At about 1/23rd the cost of the print manuals it's well worth the price.

THIS SERVICE MANUAL HAS AROUND 18,450 PAGES!!! If it is reflective of any existent printed manual that would be the same size as 37 of my '74 Olds or '71 Buick Service manuals.

I wouldn't know, I'm not a mechanic, but ... My theory;
The printed manuals don't actually exist. Probably none of the dealerships have a printed version either. The techs are just using maybe a better version available through an intranet or a subscription from GM , and are using computers or tablets to view them. The high cost of a printed manual is probably a function of it being printed . . . .and supposedly bound . . . . in about 20 volumes, on-demand.

It's too bad a printed version costs so much, it would come in handy as booster seats for about 20 small children around the table at Thanksgiving.

Obviously, I recommend finding an electronic version of this/these manual(s) you'll save about $425 and a lot of library shelf space. You just have to put up with the clumsy navigation.

Based on the SIZE and extent of this manual it's reasonable to conclude that the entire design, engineering, prototype, and tooling for the 2015-20 Tahoe was completed in late 1978 but it just took them 42 years to finish the service manual.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
ya I couple of us have purchased the cd/dvd manuals, it has no layout and you basically have to keyword search it and that's fine for a $20 dollar bill, it DOES come in handy from time to time.

OP
OP
R Black

R Black

Reaction score
ya I couple of us have purchased the cd/dvd manuals, it has no layout and you basically have to keyword search it and that's fine for a $20 dollar bill, it DOES come in handy from time to time.

It looks okay, just a bit of getting used to if you're more familiar with the 70's and 80's ones, different layout, not two columns like they were, and the pictures are not always called out as to which model they refer to. All in all ...pretty spanky though.

All I needed to know was how to get the pass rear cargo area panel of the inner fender so I could blow some WaxOyl into that 'mystery spot' above the rear fender lip.

Good thing I got the manual, you have to disable the "Supplemental Inflatable Restraints" (air bags) before you start. THAT could've been a REALLY expensive mistake.

bill1013

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The dealerships have extensive information, on computer files & disks, on every model they produce. When I was rebuilding my 84 Ford Bronco II the info was scarce & hard to find. And when I did find something it was of poor quality or design (hard to read or the picture was obscured or of the wrong part). I had trouble finding a part for the intake manifold/carb and the NAPA guy suggested going to the dealership. I'm glad I did because I met Freddy DeSilva, service manager, & Philippino Bill, Ace mechanic, who specialized in Bronco IIs, and they not only gave me all my parts at a discount they had simple and very specific drawings and instructions that helped me immensely in a my rebuild. They gave me photo copies of everything I asked for or they thought I would need. They even let me borrow a few "Specialized" tools that made the job so much easier. I wish the GMC dealership, where I got my Yukon, was like that. Now, if you can get an appointment, they want you to leave the vehicle for a few days...even for an oil change! One of my mechanics used to work at a dealership and he told me that my truck was too old and they feel that I'm not going to trade mine in for a new one. That makes sense as they have offered, several times, to give me a great deal on my truck if I buy a new one, and I turned them down, so I guess he's right. And one thing for sure is I'm not going to ever purchase a vehicle from HONOLULU GMC BUICK CADILLAC AGAIN!

tsuintx

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've bought SM or two like that off Ebay over the years and while they are clumsy to use, it still beats paying out the ***** for the real deal since their prices have skyrocketed over the years.

I remember buying a genuine three part SM set for my 2000 Z28 for something like 100 bucks back in the day. That was still good value, but 4-500 bucks or what ever it is for the current ones? Nah...

OP
OP
R Black

R Black

Reaction score
I've bought SM or two like that off Ebay over the years and while they are clumsy to use, it still beats paying out the ***** for the real deal since their prices have skyrocketed over the years.

I remember buying a genuine three part SM set for my 2000 Z28 for something like 100 bucks back in the day. That was still good value, but 4-500 bucks or what ever it is for the current ones? Nah...

I agree, and since they are so long (many pages) it might actually be more difficult (and take longer) to find what you needed in a printed version. I mean ...the index alone would be about 200 pages.

George100

Reaction score
I know this thread is a little stale, but thank you for doing the review, i too wondered what the ebay 'specials' would be like and now its been confirmed. I looked on Helm and they had two choices, a thumbdrive and the actual manual which was 699. The thumbdrive was a bargain at 399 lol, The main difference between the ebay and helm is that the ebays are covering all years of the k2xx and helm only covers one year but with all variants. The thumbdrive is hyperlinked so you can go to any section you want with a click, with the nine manuals you would get a hernia lifting each book to see each procedure.

OP
OP
R Black

R Black

Reaction score
I know this thread is a little stale, but thank you for doing the review, i too wondered what the ebay 'specials' would be like and now its been confirmed. I looked on Helm and they had two choices, a thumbdrive and the actual manual which was 699. The thumbdrive was a bargain at 399 lol, The main difference between the ebay and helm is that the ebays are covering all years of the k2xx and helm only covers one year but with all variants. The thumbdrive is hyperlinked so you can go to any section you want with a click, with the nine manuals you would get a hernia lifting each book to see each procedure.

Not really that stale at all.
Yeah, the manual I got has SOME kind of nav. but no real hyperlinks, a little awkward but still an excellent value for what you get.

The paper version of this manual ... I think I may have mentioned their bulk before. You'd have to hire Ken Starr and his assistants just to move them into your house.

A random heads-up; Don't attempt to remove any interior panels on these newer vehicles without consulting the manual because many of them have air bag components in them and power needs to be cut for 5+ minutes before messin' with 'em

exp500

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My lo-tech solution was to print each section that I needed. Plus another page or two from elsewhere. Cheap inkjet Helps alot. 3 inch binder nearly full. I may someday have a full printed manual 20 pages at a time.

tom3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just did a search on Ebay and didn't see one hard copy of a SM for the 2019 Tahoe. Lots of PDF downloads from foreign countries for cheap though. Like to find a disc copy for mine.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kwhaleys

Latest posts