Factory Ride Height

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

riso79

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I recently put a 2/3 drop on and I am not realy noticing the drop in the front. The ride is definitly different but I replaced many front end pieces so I assumed the ride would be nicer, which it is but I am going to adjust some things this next weekend I want to start from stock heigth and work my way down. I should have measured but I forgot to.....
With stock rims or even up to 22 inch rims what is everyones fender to ground height? Also let me know the year and model too.

NORCAL SS

SUV SUSPENSION GURU
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
I recently put a 2/3 drop on and I am not realy noticing the drop in the front. The ride is definitly different but I replaced many front end pieces so I assumed the ride would be nicer, which it is but I am going to adjust some things this next weekend I want to start from stock heigth and work my way down. I should have measured but I forgot to.....
With stock rims or even up to 22 inch rims what is everyones fender to ground height? Also let me know the year and model too.

1) if you used keys in front for 2 inches ride suffers and really cant do much to make it better especailly at 2 inch level. Spindles ride great since they dont affect the keys or travel

2) what shocks are you using?

3) what rear kit are you using.

4) i need to know your tire size but for example a 3/5 kit on 305 35 24 front is 32.5-32.75 and rear is 32.75-33.

Alex33

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When I did a 2/3 on my truck I was @ 33" up front on the stock size tires.

OP
OP
riso79

riso79

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you used keys in front for 2 inches ride suffers and really cant do much to make it better especailly at 2 inch level. Spindles ride great since they dont affect the keys or travel

2) what shocks are you using?

3) what rear kit are you using.

4) i need to know your tire size but for example a 3/5 kit on 305 35 24 front is 32.5-32.75 and rear is 32.75-33.[/QUOTE]

I used 2 inch keys in the front and 3 inch lowered springs in the rear. Bought them from MaxTech. Stock shocks. Truck has just less than 70k on it so I figured they might be fine for now. Didn't want to do the spindles until I really thought I want to keep it lowered. I think the ride is "ok" but its the wife's DD and she HATES it. I am going to raise it some and see if the ride is "acceptable". That's why I was looking for the fender height of some stock trucks. What she doesnt understand is the front end was warn, when I started pulling it apart, the front bearings were bad, the bumpstops were cracked in half, one ball joint was questionable and a tie rod was torn. naturally I replaced it all and now it rights very tight, as it should.

I am running the factory Escalade 22's with the factory tires that are 285/45/22. So I am sure that it sits slightly higher than the stock 17's.

so if anyone has their stock height on stock rims or larger rims list them up so I can get a stock height and adjust it some from there.

NORCAL SS

SUV SUSPENSION GURU
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
if you have a 3 inch spring in rear your running shock extenders also right?

if the 3 inch spring is in back just crank the front keys until its like 1/2 inch lower than rear and call it good. if ride is still bad the belltech front drop shocks with spindles ride so much better.

OP
OP
riso79

riso79

Full Access Member
Reaction score
if you have a 3 inch spring in rear your running shock extenders also right?

if the 3 inch spring is in back just crank the front keys until its like 1/2 inch lower than rear and call it good. if ride is still bad the belltech front drop shocks with spindles ride so much better.

Yes, the rear has the shock extenders. the rear really wasnt the problem, it was the front. I measured it out tonight and the:
front right sat at 33 3/4
front left sat at 33 5/8
rear right at 34 5/16
rear left at 34 7/8
full tank of gas too.

after some adjusting to the tortion bars 1.5 turns to each side
the front raised to:

front right 34 1/16
front left 34 even

The ride is much better and we'll see how she likes it tomorrow.......

thanks for the help.

If anyone out there has stock suspension im still looking for the factory fender to ground measurement.

NORCAL SS

SUV SUSPENSION GURU
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
ON THE 00-06 there is no "normal height". Due to the different gm workers putting the keys on some trucks I have lowered have up to 1 inch variances due to the tension placed on the keys at the assembly plant as far as the front suspension is concerned.

Also in rear due to different spring part numbers rears sit different from one mondel to the next.

OP
OP
riso79

riso79

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well my problem was solved. I removed the keys and went back to the stock keys, put in the 3/4 ton bump stops and got a 2 in lowered coil for the rear. Rides like a dream and is just slightly lower than normal and brought the truck down about 1 inch lower than it was with the stock tires. The bump stops played a huge part. Probably could have kept the lowered keys since I was only looking for a slight drop but decided to use the stock and crank them down. if you have one of these trucks get this bump stop, lowered or stock height. Makes the ride much smoother. GM Part # 15153958 I'll update some pics in a couple of days.

Jewel or Jalopy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hoe much shorter are the bump stops?

Also, which springs fir you use?

I *** under mine yesterday and was surprised to see it pretty much rides on the front bumpstops at stock height. Now I get why keys ride rough, there is no travel. Seems like an odd design.

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
davekalk