Factory radio replacement locked

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

imnohero

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My buddy's radio went out in his 2012 Tahoe. He purchased one from a member on here but it was from an 07 Tahoe. We got the radio replacement installed but it says it's locked. Anyone know how to unlock it?

One only other issue with the install was that my buddy's 2012 has a DVD and the 07 radio we got doesn't support a DVD. The install was scary easy. I can't believe the dealer was going to charge almost $300 for 10 minutes worth of install.

NathanJax

Vacation Nathan
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It will have to be coded to his VIN from the dealer

jonesh529

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
My buddy's radio went out in his 2012 Tahoe. He purchased one from a member on here but it was from an 07 Tahoe. We got the radio replacement installed but it says it's locked. Anyone know how to unlock it?

One only other issue with the install was that my buddy's 2012 has a DVD and the 07 radio we got doesn't support a DVD. The install was scary easy. I can't believe the dealer was going to charge almost $300 for 10 minutes worth of install.

Did you figure out a way to have it unlocked?

okfoz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Newer GM vehicles, within the past 10 years for sure, are coded directly to the VIN of the vehicle. I have 2 Buick Rainiers, (one is an 05, the other an 06) both have the exact same 6 disc BOSE radio, but I cannot take one out and put it in the other without getting the Radio matched to the VIN of the vehicle. I have to take it to the dealer or someone with a tech-2 (I guess a Tech-2 would do it) and have it coded.

I should add that indeed I know it will work, because it plays for about 1/2 second before it says "locked" After that it just says "locked" I have to put it back into the original vehicle to reset it.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xmen_1217