Eye bolts for roof rack?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

cardude2000

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The factory crossbars and cross rails don’t have eye hooks like the last gen. Makes them as useless as **** on a bull when trying to bungee something to them.

I can’t find a cargo basket that bolts directly to the rails so I’m looking to at least get hooks.

Anyone have luck finding them for these? Thanks

Last edited:

Dave Legacy

Reaction score
Rhino rack sells basket rack that bolts to the factory rails. Not cheap though, but looks to be a good system.

kurtibm

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not sure what the nimrods at GM were thinking offering ZERO opportunities for a tiedown anchor on these racks. I understand that they are moving these trucks to more-and-more of a mall-crusier model, but damn! Surprised the GM Nav is not pre-programmed with all shopping centers.
Anyway... After searching my industrial supply catalogs I came up with these, which will have to do.
304 Stainless, M6 x 1 is the thread, ring I.D. is 17mm, thread length is 25mm. I could have ground/filed the shoulder of the ring-bolt shoulder to eliminate interference with the crossbar bolt hole, but it is very slight.

Tahoe roof rack hook.jpeg
Tahoe roof rack hooks.jpeg Tahoe roof rack hook.jpeg

BlaineBug

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Looks good. I bought a set of $60 eBay roof rack cross bars. I'll probably rarely, if ever use them, but I like the idea for lumber or what not. The only issue was I had to use some washers between the cross bar brackets and the bolt heads, as the un-threaded shouldered portion of the bolts included were too long, and when fully tightened, the roof rack brackets were still loose. That's the difference between $60 aftermarket parts and $300 OEM parts.

R Black

Reaction score
Not sure what the nimrods at GM were thinking offering ZERO opportunities for a tiedown anchor on these racks. I understand that they are moving these trucks to more-and-more of a mall-crusier model, but damn! Surprised the GM Nav is not pre-programmed with all shopping centers.
Anyway... After searching my industrial supply catalogs I came up with these, which will have to do.
304 Stainless, M6 x 1 is the thread, ring I.D. is 17mm, thread length is 25mm. I could have ground/filed the shoulder of the ring-bolt shoulder to eliminate interference with the crossbar bolt hole, but it is very slight.

View attachment 240303
View attachment 240305 View attachment 240304

Did you fab these or are they over the counter?

BTW I think there is a special Tahoe edition called the ******.
My '96 was the special Monty Python Edition Lake Pahoe Tahoe.
Hey! It coulda' happenned!

tim crow

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
How sturdy are the mounting holes on the rails? I wouldn't get grazy with a rachet strap but are they solid enough to use as tie down points? I planned on hauling a couple inflatable paddleboards and was thinking of just setting rhem on the roof and running a couple straps across them using eye bots in the rails. Then i wouldn't need the cross bars.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

kurtibm

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I put stuff like an ez-up and storage totes with a 2" ratchet strap without an issue. Threads are fine thread, eyebolts are bomber, so I guess it comes down to how good is the GM casting. (Hopefully better than their condensers).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rick3645