Extended Warranty?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DuraYuk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
got a quote from dennis (very responsive and recommend)...oddly enough chevy is raising the prices effective 10/8 and I can't purchase quite yet due to not having my vehicle registered as in-service yet. Looking at the contract language, this part scares me...can I not ever buy different tires or a lift unless done by chevy at time of purchase? I assume a tahoe is a full size SUV.

View attachment 410718
I wouldn't lose.sleep over this. They just want a professional shop instal. Whether that's the dealer or an authorized shop. If you do it yourself you can always remove it too.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
I wouldn't lose.sleep over this. They just want a professional shop instal. Whether that's the dealer or an authorized shop. If you do it yourself you can always remove it too.
It is just another way for the stealership to lock you in to their shops. Buy the extended warranty from them and you are allowed to do "upgrades" to the stock set up, "as long as they do it" and get that money too.

Reaction score
Just extended mine this past Saturday. Dennis at Laurel Chevrolet is great to work with (got my extended warranty for my Corvette through him several years ago). So my 2021 Tahoe (purchased in November of 2020) is now covered until 9/30/2028). Price differences with and without deductible wasn't that much, so I went with $0 deductible. Cost depends on current mileage too (mine was based on less than 25,000 miles).

OP
OP
R

rmsnickers

Reaction score
I certainly get the intent here but having this language gives chevy an "out" on all service if they really wanted to be jerks about it. Dennis did say not having this coverage but having a truck with tire/lift mods would result in everything being denied (even a broken seat heater). So, if the intent is to do a lift/tire mod to pick up the surcharge now since you can't add it after the fact.

GTPace500

Reaction score
2023 Z71 Tahoe (comes with 3yr/36k). Should I opt for the extended coverage thru dealer (6 yr/80k) that permits me to take to any chevy dealer with a $100 deductible? Cost is approx. $475 per year ($2875 total).
Don't get any extended warranty. You're best bet is to put $80-90 a month into an interest-bearing account for the next 3 years. You'll get somewhere near $2900 - 3100 over the course of 3 years and the options on how to use that money are limitless.

OP
OP
R

rmsnickers

Reaction score
Ended up going with the chevy platinum warranty for 96/80 w/0 deductible and lift/tire mod surcharge. Total was 2386 (2036 base + 350 surcharge) and likely not as smart as saving each month for a rainy day I do get the peace of mind to not think of some of the big ticket items hitting and blowing up that budget. Highly recommend Dennis at Laurel Chevy for his pricing, promptness in reply, and expertise.

Thanks for the comments everyone...very helpful!

OP
OP
R

rmsnickers

Reaction score
Out of curiosity, has anyone looked at the coverage for mechanical breakdown thru their car insurance company such as Geico? The description says it covers more than factory warranty (however not sure if that's as comprehensive as platinum plan) and is priced very competitively even with the $250 deductible I'm forced to take.

DuraYuk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ended up going with the chevy platinum warranty for 96/80 w/0 deductible and lift/tire mod surcharge. Total was 2386 (2036 base + 350 surcharge) and likely not as smart as saving each month for a rainy day I do get the peace of mind to not think of some of the big ticket items hitting and blowing up that budget. Highly recommend Dennis at Laurel Chevy for his pricing, promptness in reply, and expertise.

Thanks for the comments everyone...very helpful!
One thing that will save your butt with GMPP is that they cover seals and shocks and and a few other things that do wear out and don't necessarily fail/leave you stranded.

I've never seen many extended warranties do that and I've been around a bit.

When we would have customers approaching expiration of GMPP we would give them a 'inspection' for their peace of mind and in many cases vehicles would just start to be seeping from rear mains etc. Would save the customer thousands right at the end even tho the vehicle was good to go for all intents and purposes.

Glad Dennis could help!

Mean_Green

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Couple of questions from someone who will never be in that position ....

Will you drive more than 80K in that time? 80K in 6 years is only 13K per year. Some people drive 2-3 times that each year.

If a component fails and is covered, what happens if it fails again a year or so later? I've seen terms in consumer warranties that a component is only covered once.

Is the component replaced with new? Or reconditioned? Some only pay for second level parts.

OP
OP
R

rmsnickers

Reaction score
@DuraYuk Good tip about getting an inspection towards the end of coverage.

@Mean_Green
For me, I chose 96mo/80k cause I'll likely put 5k on this car a year if not less...bought it more as an expensive baby mobile for family trips where packing into the IS250 is too tight. For parts replacement, the language reads as below for gmpp:
D. Our Options
Administrator will pay the repair facility directly, or reimburse Youfor the repair or replacement of any part covered by this Agreement.Replacement parts utilized in covered repairs will be OEM newor remanufactured parts, unless unavailable; in which caseWe may use parts of like kind and quality

Here's another snippet from a different section addressing failure re-occuring: If the sameCovered Part previously repaired under this Agreement failsagain, the deductible will be waived.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fishcop076