Exhaust tip opinions wanted

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

S33k3r

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The exhaust will not extend beyond the edge of the bumper so it should not interfere with loading and unloading from the back.
I am sorry I was unclear; I didn't mean the tip sticking out would be the problem. It's that dumping exhaust out the back with the hatch open is guaranteed to get exhaust into the passenger compartments. Further, standing in front of that position, loading/unloading will put that person in the middle of the exhaust as well. That was what was on my mind.a

Good luck with your setup. I hope it works out like you want.

Dantheman1540

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am sorry I was unclear; I didn't mean the tip sticking out would be the problem. It's that dumping exhaust out the back with the hatch open is guaranteed to get exhaust into the passenger compartments. Further, standing in front of that position, loading/unloading will put that person in the middle of the exhaust as well. That was what was on my mind.a

Good luck with your setup. I hope it works out like you want.
Mine dumped where the spare tire does creates a good bit of fumes, I feel like I got pepper sprayed if I leave it running on a still day while hooking up a trailer, but I still love it! :insane:

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Spare tire is history. It’s being replaced with one of the OEM seal and inflator kits now supplied as standard equipment on some models by GM, Ford, Volvo, Porsche, etc. in lieu of spare tires. The exhaust will not extend beyond the edge of the bumper so it should not interfere with loading and unloading from the back. I just plain don’t like the rear quarter panel side exhausts. To me it lacks imagination. I’m going for a unique, yet GM-stable-look vis-a-vis center mounted exhausts on Corvettes and and earlier model Camaros. The challenge is to find something that looks like it belongs rather than tacked on. This exhaust fits the car geometrically. It fits the width of the bumper indention and doesn’t extend too far below the bottom plane of the bumper. But for me, a single wide mouth center mounted exhaust fails the style test aesthetically. Might work on a sports car, but a bit out of place on a SUV. So, I’m trying to strike a balance in which center mounted exhausts on a large GM SUV look like they belong, being remmanscent of GMs Corvettes and Camaros, while avoiding cheesy!
My suggestion to you is to sketch something out that you like, and then go to a local muffler shop and have them custom build your design and install it.

OP
OP
m1949

m1949

LS364/450
Reaction score
Thanks for the suggestion. I think I've settled on exhaust tips from a circua 1970-73 Corvette like the one shown below. This is one made by Magnaflow. Its inflow opeining is 2.5" and outflow opening is 3'X5.5". This should allow ~5"-6" of separation between the exhausts. IMO the sharp angles of this gen corvette's exhausts fit the linear body edge angles of 02-06 Escalade styling (as compared to later versions which have more curved edges styling). Also, the rearward rake of this exhaust opening will minimize the potential of accidental contact with hot exhausts when accessing the hatch. The top edge of this exhaust will be set back slightly the bumper face. GM added a trim bezel on some Corvettes, which I hope to incorporate when I make the valance. I think the combination of setback, the exhaust's rearward rake design, addition of a valance surround and a trim bezel will all but eliminate possibility of accidental contact with the exhaust tip.

I'm not too concerned with exhaust fumes coming thru the open hatch as I don't imagine we will be loading the truck while its running. Also, I don't plan to ever tow with it. In fact, the trailer hitch and spare have already been removed. If any of y'all need a spare, 17" Escalade wheels or a hitch and live in driving distance of N. AL let me know. I'll make you a good deal!
1640989721569.png

Last edited:

66GM66

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Ok, so here is one of the exhaust tips I’m considering. It receives dual exhausts. You are welcome to give an opinion.
Not sure it’s my cup of tea but it’s growing on me a little Wonder how it would look if it was blacked out on the interior so it looked as though the actual exhaust port itself was bigger.

OP
OP
m1949

m1949

LS364/450
Reaction score
That's an idea. I thought about going with a wider exhaust which has the same general shape. But I'm trying to accomplish a bunch of things at once looks-wise. I want the exhausts center rear and mounted within the ~17" indention in the bottom of the bumper where the tow hitch previously resided. I think this will give it a more engineered-that-way look plus the indention increases exhaust-to-ground clearnance about an inch. I also want to have some separation between the exhausts vis-a-vis C6 era Corvettes; and, I want to stay as true as possible to the sharply linear body angles of this model Escalade. It's lines are my main reason for going with an 02-06 generation. So I'm not going to design the valance until I can see the exhausts on the car to make sure they "fit" the overall look I'm after. If I have enough space between the exhausts I'd like to experiment with different center plates (again circa C6 Corvette) and maybe make it possible to easily swap out emblems on the center plate. Blacked out exhausts and matching center plate might look good, especially if I can exchange center plate emblems according to my mood, the season, events, etc..

Last edited:

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Have you thought about doing exits through the lower portions of the bumper further outboard? Kinda like a side exit flange. I just don’t think they will ever look right crowded together in that small center area myself. I’m not sure if the angle down there is too much though. There are flanges that allow a tip to go through the center of them or one-piece tip/ flange combos.
1641065974011.jpeg
1641066013444.jpeg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dprdmd