Esky Roof Rack Installation on Un-drilled Roof

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

felixgun

Full Access Member
Reaction score
lol, dude I'm petrified.

I'm pretty sure I'll only get one shot at this, better get those suckers aligned right or I'll be crabbing. :)

Yep... I was that nervous for the side mouldings as I too am a stickler for symmetrical alignment. Better have a helper!

07Burb

GM fan for life
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you're going to do it take your measurements and mark precisely with tape (to the inside of where the rack will be) where you'll lay down the racks. Once that is laid down measure again to validate that the rack will lay exactly where you want it THEN start putting the rack on. Then just take the tape of you used to mark it with and your golden. It's really not that hard. Just very time consuming to do right and make sure you don't screw something up. Would be a good idea to get a second set of hands especially for when you apply the rack to the vehicle.

BOSS

The People's A D M I N
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The 3M VHB, as demonstrated in the video, bonds so strong that it can pull rail cars ... if I use it, the issue isn't going to be if the rack stays on

Okie dokie

But the gap issue is a valid one ... not so much because I'm concerned about adhesion but more from an esthetic pov.

You'll see the gap....IMO, just put one on last week

GalaxyBlackEsky

BlackedoutLT3
Reaction score
Good luck with yours. Can't wait to get mine back tomorrow painted all black.

OP
OP
soulsea

soulsea

Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
leave it no rack. Looks so much cleaner...just my 2 cents

I'm going to mock it up, see how it looks, and take pics for you guys before any final decision. :waytogo:

Keep in mind however that I am going for a look that incorporates chrome elements. Esky oem handles are being installed tomorrow, and I'm also tinkering with the idea of the oem tubular steps. No chrome side molding, chrome window sills, or mirrors. Like I said just elements to compliment the wheels.

OP
OP
soulsea

soulsea

Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
We'll see ... I kinda like them:

picture.php

LuSe4

Bleen Member
Reaction score
LOL! You will never see a gap. That 3m tape is so thin. Also, a roof rack catches very little wind. It isn't going to go anywhere. You can do what you want Soulsea, but I would use 3M tape before I would ever let someone drill holes......in my roof! That seems like a way bigger deal to me. Hope they get sealed up tight!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CB12