Escalade EV announced

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Status
Not open for further replies.

soulsea

Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Stop talking about your scientific theories/beliefs and keep the conversation to the topic of this model, how it may compare with others, and anything car specific.

Last Warning.

DuraYuk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No, I gave a worst case scenario. Your EV would barely have enough energy to make it to a charging station and then would have to stay there for several hours at least to make the journey. Your gas/diesel could leave the house with the same range, refuel in 10 minutes and go straight to the hospital.

Suffice it to say, you don't know much about serpentine belts.

Yes, I know how regenerative braking works.

Why is storing 50 gallons of fuel not safe? How is it that I'm here to write to you after all these years? I keep it right next to an equal amount of black powder. ;)

If you knew Jesus you wouldn't keep falling for these lies. Yes, oil is made inside the earth. It picks up organics as it moves through the crust. The earth is not flat, believers have always known this for it is written.

When it comes to facts, you're projecting. My scenario to rush to the hospital is a realistic scenario. As a matter of fact, I just remembered that I was involved in a similar situation as a little boy. My grandmother had a stroke and was visiting her daughter in Tallahassee and my mother, aunt and uncle loaded up in his little Toyota Tercel and booked it from Fort Lauderdale to the hospital in record time, even getting two speeding tickets along the way. 41 years ago. We made it and got to see her before she went on to her reward. If we had been in an EV, we'd have never made it in time. Even fully charged it would not have made the 460 miles run without stopping for hours to get "fuel".
Glad you made it.
A piece of rotating rubber isn't made to last 170k miles you got lucky.
50 gallons of gasoline is a hazard for you and anyone near you. It's plain stupid in a residential area, one stray flame and your done for, less about you and more about others.

Not many cars have 460 miles of range on a tank. Let alone a car 41 years ago. That tercel was getting over 30mpg and speeding loaded? I recall it having a 13ishgallon tank and my dad's would get maybe 26mpg max so very impressive speeding and getting over 30mpg! Didnt think they could do much better than 60. At least my dad's automatic couldn't. Jesus? Um. Yeah, lol.
The escalade should have about 400 miles of range if not more if the Silverado ev is similar. We are in a transitional phase. Technology will improve. Let's reserve judgment when it comes out. Shouldn't be much different then the rest of the ultium full size vehicles.

I think the one real crappy point about evs is that all chargers are not created equal. So while the escalade could charge real fast and quick you are at the chargers mercy. Same for all Evs. Even the tesla superchargers and routinely slow.

Last edited:

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Glad you made it.
A piece of rotating rubber isn't made to last 170k miles you got lucky.
50 gallons of gasoline is a hazard for you and anyone near you. It's plain stupid in a residential area, one stray flame and your done for, less about you and more about others.

Not many cars have 460 miles of range on a tank. Let alone a car 41 years ago. That tercel was getting over 30mpg and speeding loaded? I recall it having a 13ishgallon tank and my dad's would get maybe 26mpg max so very impressive speeding and getting over 30mpg! Didnt think they could do much better than 60. At least my dad's automatic couldn't. Jesus? Um. Yeah, lol.
The escalade should have about 400 miles of range if not more if the Silverado ev is similar. We are in a transitional phase. Technology will improve. Let's reserve judgment when it comes out. Shouldn't be much different then the rest of the ultium full size vehicles.

I think the one real crappy point about evs is that all chargers are not created equal. So while the escalade could charge real fast and quick you are at the chargers mercy. Same for all Evs. Even the tesla superchargers and routinely slow.
I replaced a good belt at 135K on a Montana and my 177K belt was only replaced because the pulley was starting to squeak. I sent another Montana to the crusher with it's original belt at 205K. My 2012 Sierra is in the 150s on her original belt.

How exactly is the gasoline a hazard in a residential area? How is it a hazard in a commercial area? How many stray flames do you have in your garage? If a stray flame can ignite your stored fuel, are all of your cans not covered? Are you storing the fuel in paint cans or something?

The lesson about the Tercel is that it's fuel supply was replenished in minutes, not hours like an EV. It's mpg was not relevant.

In the other scenario, the Escalade did not have 400 miles, it was starting out with at best 90 miles of range on a cold winter night.

Will the Silverado's or Escalade's battery system be superior to the Ferd Lightning? If it's like the Hummer, I don't think so.

They'll certainly keep improving the tech as has GM with their gas motors. The direct injected engines eliminated the benefits of the Tahoe/Yukon/Escalade/Sierra/Silverado hybrids in the previous generation. Much less expensive cost of ownership too.

DuraYuk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I replaced a good belt at 135K on a Montana and my 177K belt was only replaced because the pulley was starting to squeak. I sent another Montana to the crusher with it's original belt at 205K. My 2012 Sierra is in the 150s on her original belt.

How exactly is the gasoline a hazard in a residential area? How is it a hazard in a commercial area? How many stray flames do you have in your garage? If a stray flame can ignite your stored fuel, are all of your cans not covered? Are you storing the fuel in paint cans or something?

The lesson about the Tercel is that it's fuel supply was replenished in minutes, not hours like an EV. It's mpg was not relevant.

In the other scenario, the Escalade did not have 400 miles, it was starting out with at best 90 miles of range on a cold winter night.

Will the Silverado's or Escalade's battery system be superior to the Ferd Lightning? If it's like the Hummer, I don't think so.

They'll certainly keep improving the tech as has GM with their gas motors. The direct injected engines eliminated the benefits of the Tahoe/Yukon/Escalade/Sierra/Silverado hybrids in the previous generation. Much less expensive cost of ownership too.
Your missing the point about gasoline. Gasoline vapor is extremely flammable. 50 gallons in a drum is asking for trouble. If it's working for you by all means. I have open flames in my garage quite often. It won't take much to ignite 50 gallons. Hope that never happens.

205k on a Montana with the original belt? That's God status right there. As it would have been opened up for a variety of things by 205k miles. Good that it lasted for you. Most are not so lucky.

The GM full size evs are better than the lightening in terms of range . jury is out how reliability is going to be. The lightening doesn't have enough range, something the Silverado does on paper so far.

If you have the escalade ev in your garage no doubt you have at least a relatively inexpensive level 2 charger keeping it close to full for the inevitable dooms day scenario. But yeah in the apocalypse as it stands now a gas vehicle would be easier to refuel if the power grid is down, yay.

The hummer is pretty sophisticated and is really limited by its sheer weight. Its built for excess for sure.

I'm sure as 24 redesign rolls out for the full size suvs we will get more information about the escalade ev.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Your missing the point about gasoline. Gasoline vapor is extremely flammable. 50 gallons in a drum is asking for trouble. If it's working for you by all means. I have open flames in my garage quite often. It won't take much to ignite 50 gallons. Hope that never happens.
Our gasoline is stored in German style jerry cans, they are completely sealed. They can and have been driven over and set on fire and did not open or burst. We store at full capacity or more during hurricane season. The rest of the time, 1 or 2 cans.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GeorgeC