Engine tick, 05 Tahoe 5.3l

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

sumbum

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
So I recently picked up a 05 4wd Tahoe with about 270k. It was a good deal so I said sure why not.

I had noticed a constant low oil pressure and a tick/click noise coming from the engine at around 3k+ rpm. Sounded like the lifters, so I thought if I ran some motor flush and fixed the low oil pressure that might help out the tick. Well a new oil pick tube o-ring and I flushed the engine, but I still hear the tick. Before I tear into the head to check out the lifters and open that can of worms, I thought I would check here and see if anyone might have some tips or tricks. If it might be something else.

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Constant any time the engine is running or does it change, like when the engine is warm or cold? Snapped exhaust manifold bolts are common and cause a sound very similar to a ticking lifter. Is your oil pressure good or any better since the new O-ring and flush?

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What he said^^^^. I had what I thought was lifter tick and it was an exhaust leak from broken off exhaust manifold bolts. Take a good look at all of them to see if you have any broken ones.

Larryjb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have had a tick ever since owning my 02. I'm now convinced it's piston slap. From all the reading I've done, I don't think it's anything to worry about.

OP
OP
sumbum

sumbum

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Constant any time the engine is running or does it change, like when the engine is warm or cold? Snapped exhaust manifold bolts are common and cause a sound very similar to a ticking lifter. Is your oil pressure good or any better since the new O-ring and flush?

It's not constant, only at a higher rpm. Once it shifts it goes away. It doesn't seem to matter hot or cold, it still makes the tick/click/metallic clack (one of those sounds lol). Yea oil pressure is way better and constantly above 40 psi now. I was worried it might be the oil pump, but it was the o-ring. It came off in multiple pieces.

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's not constant, only at a higher rpm. Once it shifts it goes away. It doesn't seem to matter hot or cold, it still makes the tick/click/metallic clack (one of those sounds lol). Yea oil pressure is way better and constantly above 40 psi now. I was worried it might be the oil pump, but it was the o-ring. It came off in multiple pieces.

Meh. Doesn't sound like an exhaust leak.

Does it at 3,000 RPM, in gear or in neutral/park? You mean it starts at 3,000 and will continue to redline but stops when it's back under 3,000?

This is more of a Hail Mary check, but get a good flashlight and check the flexplate for cracks.

OP
OP
sumbum

sumbum

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Meh. Doesn't sound like an exhaust leak.

Does it at 3,000 RPM, in gear or in neutral/park? You mean it starts at 3,000 and will continue to redline but stops when it's back under 3,000?

This is more of a Hail Mary check, but get a good flashlight and check the flexplate for cracks.

Neutral/park/drive. Anytime it gets to around 3k, below that nothing. did some closer listening, it doesn't really sound like a lifter tick. I'm gonna have someone rev while I listen tomorrow, maybe get a closer listen and see where it's coming from.

Tonyrodz

Resident Resident
Reaction score
Hope it isn't the flexplate. Happened to my Express van with the 4.8. Was a metallic sound. Was cracked almost all the way around the bolt holes of the plate.Resized_20190719_170020.jpeg Resized_20190719_170102.jpeg Resized_20190719_170046.jpeg

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Phoenix2k9