Engine tick, 05 Tahoe 5.3l

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jeff O

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Lifter noise in Vortec engines, esp Tahoe/GMC is addressed in a number of youtube vids. Some are fixed with oil additives and various oil manipulations and flushes. Try a search for some possibly inexpensive fixes. However with 270K miles, I expect good old wear and tear is at fault.

OP
OP
sumbum

sumbum

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
So I did some closer listening and paid a bit more attention. So when the engine is cold, like just started, there is no tick or knock. However, once it warms up it's a constant, just much more noticeable over 3k rpm. I've put a video of the sound on YouTube, appreciate any input.

I put tick, but really it's more of a knock...

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Really doesn't sound like a lifter tick or exhaust leak in both sound and frequency. Yet, it's still kind high pitched for a bottom end knock. If you had a rocker flopping around enough to slap the valve cover, you'd have a dead cylinder.

I'd check the flexplate and listen to the bottom end with a mechanic's stethoscope if the flexplate checks out.

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I would put it on jack stands and get underneath to see if it’s coming from the bell housing area. It sounds to me like it corresponds to the speed of the flex plate or crank. I had a similar sound after replacing my trans and it turned out to be the plastic filler piece by the starter, I installed it wrong and it was barely hitting the flex plate. Could be something simple like that.

OP
OP
sumbum

sumbum

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Really doesn't sound like a lifter tick or exhaust leak in both sound and frequency. Yet, it's still kind high pitched for a bottom end knock. If you had a rocker flopping around enough to slap the valve cover, you'd have a dead cylinder.

I'd check the flexplate and listen to the bottom end with a mechanic's stethoscope if the flexplate checks out.

Is there an easy way to check the flexplate, like using a borescope or something and looking through those inspection areas? I'd hate to pull the transmission if I don't need to yet. I'll pull the valve covers and check for a bad rocker this evening. Really appreciate all the input.

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Is there an easy way to check the flexplate, like using a borescope or something and looking through those inspection areas? I'd hate to pull the transmission if I don't need to yet. I'll pull the valve covers and check for a bad rocker this evening. Really appreciate all the input.
There’s an inspection plate, it looks like the bottom of a soda can. It’s on the bottom of the bell housing.

OP
OP
sumbum

sumbum

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I would put it on jack stands and get underneath to see if it’s coming from the bell housing area. It sounds to me like it corresponds to the speed of the flex plate or crank. I had a similar sound after replacing my trans and it turned out to be the plastic filler piece by the starter, I installed it wrong and it was barely hitting the flex plate. Could be something simple like that.
It was doing it before I dropped the oil pan and had both those plastic pieces off. I would assume the plastic would be torn up if it was slapping against the flexplate, however, I didn't notice anything wrong with it. Wish it was something simple though, that's just not my luck lol.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
willie110hh