Engine swap

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jvanwinkle89

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hey guys new to thw forum. I am trying to swap a stock motor for a 98 tahoe to 350 carbureted motor. How can I do this. And what will I need? Thanks

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

SunlitComet

OBS Jedi-Do Good
Reaction score
so if this is going into a 1998 tahoe unless you are willing to spend $700++ on transmission controller parts alone, to say nothing of what is ahead if you do, forget it. besides just cutting the pcm out will kill the fuel pump control, a/c, tranny control, speedometer among various things and likely kill or severely hamper abs, steering, and 4wd system. just easier to buy an older truck.

ltdan

Reaction score
Don't forget that it will not pass emissions inspection if you have that in your area.

For on road use I would go the other way and drop a 5.3 or 6.0 in.

If it is to be for off road, then just get a 700r4 to go with it and elininate the stand alone tranny controller.

ltdan

Reaction score
Lol probably. But should be the first issue to decide that determins wether to swap or not.

Sent from my Glade Air Freshener using Tapatalk 2

OP
OP
J

jvanwinkle89

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Im wanting to build a play truck but will drive back and forth to work

ltdan

Reaction score
The definitely figure out wether you need emmisons to get inspected or not.

Sent from my Glade Air Freshener using Tapatalk 2

SunlitComet

OBS Jedi-Do Good
Reaction score
you can build a play truck out of a stock 98 with adding performance items with out going carb. hell if it is allowed in your state and you have 5 grand you can drop in an ht383e from gm performance. An entirely new block and parts and with a pcm recalibration and some add-ons such as a tubular exhaust system, hi-flow cats and cat back you will have plenty of fun. for work or play.

---------- Post added at 08:20 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:20 PM ----------

oh and everything else would still work.

OP
OP
J

jvanwinkle89

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Why cant you just add the motor and leave everything else the same.

SunlitComet

OBS Jedi-Do Good
Reaction score
you pcm controls or effect what i mentioned about. unless you can find a why to simulate the various sensors data outputs to coincide with a carbed engine frazier is going down big time.

---------- Post added at 10:33 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:32 PM ----------

you are not the first to want to attempt this and you wont be the last to learn that it just is not feasible legally, financially or otherwise.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ajdahl8660