Engine setting for years, what's the best way to prepare for start up?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

HDRock1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The engine in question here, is a 5.7,54k miles, has not been started in about five years. It was running fine before that.
I have read that some people say you should remove the plugs and put some Marvel mystery oil, or something like that in the cylinders, If so how much.
I am looking for any, and all, suggestions to prepare the, truck and engine for start up.
I appreciate your input, thanks.

99 2dr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would remove the coil wire, remove spark plugs, use the new seafoam spray with the straw to coat cylinders, drain oil/ filter refill with cheap oil. With coil wire still removed crank engine over until adequate oil pressure is achieved. Check water level. Check for fuel delivery. let sit while seafoam evaporates. Install spark plugs and crank over engine until oil pressure is achieved. Connect coil wire and start engine. Do not rev up engine more than necessary. After engine arrives at operating temperature, turn off, drain oil and change filter.

OP
OP
HDRock1

HDRock1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would remove the coil wire, remove spark plugs, use the new seafoam spray with the straw to coat cylinders, drain oil/ filter refill with cheap oil. With coil wire still removed crank engine over until adequate oil pressure is achieved. Check water level. Check for fuel delivery. let sit while seafoam evaporates. Install spark plugs and crank over engine until oil pressure is achieved. Connect coil wire and start engine. Do not rev up engine more than necessary. After engine arrives at operating temperature, turn off, drain oil and change filter.

Thanks
Cranking the engine with the plugs out sounds like a good idea, and I didn't think of that.
I actually have a partial can of the, seafoam spray with the straw.
Once I get a battery hooked up I'll stick on the fuel press gauge ,turn on the key and see what I get, don't know what the specs. are just yet.

99 2dr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Removing the spark plugs and cranking it over allows the cylinders to expel any moisture that is in them. I would imagine that there would be some because you live in Flint Michigan?

gpracer1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I wouldn't do the seafoam until after you have started the engine and you verify that it is operating normally.
This is because after you do the seafoam it will smoke and cough and run rough till it clears out, and it's better to know its running fine before you do it.

99 2dr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I did not say start the engine with seafoam in it. I said use the seafoam to clean out the cylinders and let it evaporate after cranking it over. An engine that has sat for a long time in the great lakes area is very well liable to have moisture in it.

OP
OP
HDRock1

HDRock1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I did not say start the engine with seafoam in it. I said use the seafoam to clean out the cylinders and let it evaporate after cranking it over. An engine that has sat for a long time in the great lakes area is very well liable to have moisture in it.

Oh ya it's bound to have moisture in it.
Am I correct that ,seafoam has lubrication properties along with being a solvent ?

Last edited:

Gzes

the drifting 2dr
Reaction score
Remember if strated dry the motor will wear the bearings like a mofo..... My dumbass mechanic dry started my 2dr and i needed an overhaul.... Mine sat for roughly 8 years

99 2dr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes seafoam has both properties. We use it to store our race engines.

You never want to start an engine dry, that it why you disconnect the coil wire so it can crank to circulate oil.

OP
OP
HDRock1

HDRock1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm not really an engine guy, but, I would never start an engine dry,and I figured the cylinders also need some kind of lubrication above the rings .
That being said, I know there are many people here, much more knowledgeable than I to help me out.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Luggz