Engine Oil Pressure Sensor replacement?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ChuckC

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hi. I have a 2009 Yukon Hybrid. While driving from San Francisco to Lake Tahoe last Monday my oil pressure guage dropped and I got the low oil pressure warning telling me to pull over and stop the engine. After restarting the oil pressure gauge read normal and the Check Engine light was on but the oil pressure slowly dropped after about 10 mins. Restarted again and kept going as we were only about 20 miles from our destination.

Vinli did report a low oil pressure reading (code P0521). I have no visible leaks and took it to a local mechanic who reported normal oil pressure. The mechanic suspected a bad sensor but didn't have the parts to replace so I booked into the stealership but they had no availability until this coming Wednesday (tomorrow).

I got a low pressure twice more on Tuesday but nothing since then. And now the check engine light is off. But that may be because local driving allows the Hybrid to kick in which has the effect of shutting off the engine which resets the sensor.

So now I am debating the urgency of this and wondering if it's worth spending a day at the stealership or just wait until I get home after New Years? Also, when I do replace do I need just the sensor or the filter and outer "shroud" as well?

Thoughts? Thanks!

NateDiggity

Reaction score
They are a pain to get to, so if you are doing it, or paying to have it done, replace the filter under it. It can cause problems, and super cheap to do if you are already in there. (I think mine was $3 at an auto parts store).

If it is just the sensor (sure sounds like it) I would wait, and just deal with the check engine light. Mine was dead (showed zero pressure) for a few weeks....

Russ

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
The problem is very often that the screen under the sensor has become clogged. If the valvetrain remains quiet, there is oil pressure. A belt and suspenders approach is to replace the sensor and throw the screen in the trash. I do this rather than risk having to pull it apart later to do the screen again.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
juniordaboi909

Latest posts