Engine Missing or Cruise Control Issue?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BG1988

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My 2013 Yukon Denali Hybrid (187k miles) feels like the engine is stuttering or missing when on the freeway going downhill on cruise control. Figured it was the engine trying to slow down the momentum going downhill, though it never used to be this rough when newer.

Today the check engine light was blinking as this was occurring, but went out once I released the cruise control.

Suggestions? Thanks.
try 93 octane or 91 octane for a while mine would cycle v4-v8 rapidly with 87 octane..

with 87 i barely get 18.5/18.5 with AFM rapid cycle (it would cause jerking/shutter)

make sure you get the fuel from a good source like chevron/texaco or mobil/exxon

the mileage should increase as well I average 22 in the city and 25-26 on the highway with 91oct so the extra cost is actually cheaper to get it..
0.173 per mile with 87 octane $3.199
0.1545/0.131 per mile with 91octane $3.399 according to the math it's cheaper to run on 91 octane

i had bad luck with shell givin 87 at the 91 pump

the switch from v4-v8 or v8 to v4 is seamless and undetectable...

you will need to drain the whole tank then fill it with 91 remember not to fill it up if the fuel pump is hot, it might cause thermal damage(thermal shock) and seize the pump.

i would check the Air filter as well probably clogged up.. since it;s happening on a DFCO
event.. basically it just pumps air threw the engine when it happens

to remove the air filter i would remove the whole air box much easier to deal with and will save a bunch of time .. it also is easier to seat the filter correctly.

if you try and remove the top cover with it installed it's such a pain (very very tight spaces with the risk of damaging the radiator hoses etc..)
i can take the air box off in 5min(total time is like 10min at the most) instead of trying to struggle to get the 4 star screws off with the air box installed this will take about 20-30min to do if you leave it installed in the suv.. since you gotta be careful with the High voltage cables and radiator hoses and seating the air filter correctly is also a slow process

Last edited:

Dustin Jackson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@Marc Marc Next time you are driving get your cluster monitor to show you mileage and V8 vs V4 mode. When you are gong downhill your truck will probably want to be going into V4 mode, if you can verify that your truck is studdering or shuddering in V4 mode that might narrow the problem down.

BG1988

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My 2013 Yukon Denali Hybrid (187k miles) feels like the engine is stuttering or missing when on the freeway going downhill on cruise control. Figured it was the engine trying to slow down the momentum going downhill, though it never used to be this rough when newer.

Today the check engine light was blinking as this was occurring, but went out once I released the cruise control.

Suggestions? Thanks.
i tried the CC on a down hill exact same thing you describe. but my idle was rough as well, I had faulty baro sensor...

make sure the key on matches with the MAP sensor. that was causing heavy shuttering at 9-11mph if it shifted into second gear for me.. if it's showing 104kPa it's bad at your not a sea level... i did notice some shuttering with the CC on .. it felt like the suv was going forward and backward at the same time?