Engine cleaning

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

withac

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I asked this back on TF but didn't print out the responses, besides, we want to start building up the info here, right? So what is the best way to clean your engine? All the electrical connections make me nervous, especially where there is a coil over every cylinder. My wife has a steam cleaner, you know the kind, has a wand that shoots out a pretty good stream of steam. Would take a while to go over things inch by inch but it might work. Other ideas?

YNOT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
every spring i cover my alternator, using the shower setting wet the engine, spray full strength simple green and let it sit a minute, then use rinse still using the shower setting again. if you want wipe it down with meguairs plastic conditioner/shiner.

if its real bad on the valve covers then use some degreaser on those areas, but i've simple greened all my stuff every spring like that, never had a problem.

here's my 6 year old silverado 5.3 that i just sold, you can eat off it and it only takes a couple minutes to do.

fsengine.gif

TheFuzz

Idiot Police
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Holy shit YNOT, that looks incredible. Just simple green, a hose and some elbow grease, eh? I might do that when I get back into town next week.

thumper_ehhhhh

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What I do for cleaning is. Gently spray the engine compartment down with a hose. I use fantastic. I spray that on everything. I either wipe or scrub everything depending on build up. I then spray it down again just a light spray of water. I then take my air compressor with 40 psi or less I blow as much water off as I can. I then spray then wipe mcguires supreme shine on everything. This is how it turns out. Both ran fine after cleaning also.
2004 Burb 1st clean

Picture049.gif

2001 Astro first clean after years of not washing.

Picture004-1.gif

YNOT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Holy shit YNOT, that looks incredible. Just simple green, a hose and some elbow grease, eh? I might do that when I get back into town next week.
not even elbow grease, just a little bit of time. i still have to do the tahoe i just bought. i'll have to do a before and after for it.

Modded

That Guy
Reaction score
I wash mine every 1month and a half with just prssured water since I got it, at that, it always looks brand new!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
griffey_mojo