Engine and Turn Signal Noise Over Rear Radio

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RDLearned

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
This is on a 2007 Tahoe LTZ. It has front and rear AM/FM/XM and also has a factory DVD system. All components are straight from the factory and un-modified. The system has functioned great until just recently.

It started with the turn signals making a loud whining noise over the rear speakers. Now it has progressed to add a definite engine noise over the rear speakers. Mostly it seem like it is the rear passenger side speaker. The strange thing is that you can turn the rear radio on/off a couple of times and the noise goes away. Has anyone else had this problem and what did you do to fix it? This is my wife's ride and if momma ain't happy, nobody's happy.

Thanks in advance for any and all answers.

fxstsrider

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Yukon engine noise over radio

I am having the same issue in my 2009. Dealer changed the factory radio. It is Bose with cd/dvd combo and rear entertainment package. Comes and goes through rear speakers. It started with the turn signals at first and then did it with other lights on. It will also do it with the radio turned off at times. Very weird because not the same always. Dealer has tried twice now and has not been able to fix it.

chistoso

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not a definite answer here but it sounds like a grounding problem. Something somewhere isn't making good contact to ground..

chris.

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Yeah i suspect ground issue as well, maybe want to check into the amp as well. Head unit and speakers are fine imo

dnt1010

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This Thread is old as dirt but I have a 2009 that just started the noise in the rear speakers. First noticed it after hitting the brakes, sounds like a loud buzzing noise. So far I have been able to turn the radio on and off a few times and it stops then I noticed the noise when using the blinker? Seems to indicate a ground problem maybe? Hoping someone else has had the problem and fixed it?? No changes to anything electrical since I bought it about a year ago, except for swapping out the hybrid battery but that was over 6 months ago. Not a major issue but pretty annoying.

kbuskill

***CAUTION*** I do my own stunts!
Reaction score
This Thread is old as dirt but I have a 2009 that just started the noise in the rear speakers. First noticed it after hitting the brakes, sounds like a loud buzzing noise. So far I have been able to turn the radio on and off a few times and it stops then I noticed the noise when using the blinker? Seems to indicate a ground problem maybe? Hoping someone else has had the problem and fixed it?? No changes to anything electrical since I bought it about a year ago, except for swapping out the hybrid battery but that was over 6 months ago. Not a major issue but pretty annoying.

I fixed mine by tightening up the pins and sockets on the back of the rear audio controls.

I can't remember the exact pins for ground but they were near the center of the connector. I want to say they were pins 13 and 15 but it has been a while since I did it.

If you look for a pin out of the wiring diagram for the rear audio control you will see which ones are marked as grounds.

dnt1010

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply. Man this is a great forum. I believe that it IS the rear radio controls. If I push on the face of the controls when it starts buzzing it stops it, so i think that it is something lose on the inside. I printed off an article and some pics where a guy had his taken apart and fixed it. For now I will just select a input on rear controls (this shuts off the rear speakers) and get it fixed when I get time to dig into it. Actually looks pretty easy maybe an hour at most. (If nothing BREAKS)

dnt1010

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Perfect. I think that I will just order a new one and swap it out.