Engine additive: ATS chemical.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

The Grey Beast

Full Access Member
Reaction score
so I’ve never used a oil additive before. I was nervous because any time you pour anything in to your engine other than oil it should give one pause. I’m not one to plug anything but I will on this one. I recently used ATS Chemical 505 CRO into the engine oil. It rally worked in my Tahoe. I parked and poured the 505 in the the oil. I stepped on the gas and put the engine at 2 thousand RPM’s for about 8 minutes. It recommends 10. But I drove a few hundred feet and had the oil changed by an oil changing business. Because it’s recommended to change your oil after pouring the 505 CRO into the oil. It is a clear lemon smelling solvent. Long story short the engine idle is way better after the pouring. It’s supposed to clean out old dirty oil deposits in the piston and crank shafts. So do your research before pouring anything into your oil. Take a look and decide for yourself. There are plenty YouTube videos giving there opinion on the additive. My Tahoe is a a 2011 with 150 thousand miles.

Ken

intheburbs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've been pouring half a can of Seafoam into my engines prior to changing the oil for years.

Other half gets sucked into a vacuum hose to clean the top end.

MWD_CTSV

Reaction score
I used the ATS 505 on my son's 2012 TSX which was consuming oil at a quart every 1K miles at only 80K miles on the engine, with fresh Mobil1. Honda supposedly improved the oil ring tension in 2011, but the manual transmission cars still have issues. I think the recommendation was 30 minutes for the ATS flush, so I ran varying RPMS for 45 minutes. It did make a drastic improvement and it was consuming less than .5 quarts in the first 3K miles, but started trending towards .5 quarts from 3-4K and a little above .5 for 4K-5K and then was back to a higher loss about 5K miles. It has exhibited similar behavior for the last 2 oil changes, but the first 3K miles are drastically different results after the ATS 505.

For any vehicle that is consuming 1 quart per 1K miles past the oil rings, I think the ATS 505 will help a great deal. I have heard some professional shops swear by it for smoking Subarus. Of course, my 219K mile Yukon is about 3K (70% highway) since the first oil change in my ownership and has yet to show any oil loss other than small amounts in the PCV catch can. Perhaps I am not competent to read the swirly dipstick either, but it looks to remain slightly above the full mark.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MTN_KDA