Emissions and High Altitude

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Thekid

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Just looking for some user experience. I have been emailing Justin with my questions but some end user experience first hand would be great.

This is for my completely stock '01 Yukon XL.

I live in Colorado at a minimum elevation of 5000ft and travel into the Rocky Mountains up to 12,500ft. Most of the climbs also include long, steep grades. Does anyone else live up at high altitude? If so, did you go with a standard tune or a data log tune? I'm just trying to decide if the standard tune is good enough considering my elevation.

My second issue revolves around emissions. Colorado has a very strict emission testing procedure that involves testing the vehicles under load using a dyno. With a tune has anyone had issues passing emissions? I am considering keeping my stock PCM, just for emissions, but it would be great to save that $$ if possible. So any experience here would also be appreciated.

JennaBear

Resident Ninja
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
We have had plenty of customers from high altitudes (many in CO), not a problem in tuning those vehicles.

As far as emissions, as long as your vehicle can pass before the tune, then there are no issues passing after the tune. We have many customers in CA, and currently live in CA, and that is by far the hardest State as far as emissions go.

OP
OP
T

Thekid

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
So would the standard tune then be my best bet since this is a stock vehicle? I'm just trying to decide if the extra $100 for a data logging tune has enough benefits to justify it on a stock Yukon XL.

JennaBear

Resident Ninja
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
That is completely up to you. Keep in mind, that with a traditional tune, you will need to find a shop that can do the crank relearn for you (the cable allows you to do this on your own).

puckhead

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I live up at 7,700 or so and dont have problems on the road. I went with the cable tune and it has worked great! Also are you sure you are not emissions exempt? My Tahoe has a state sticker stating that I am. Dont know if its just a thing up here or what. Mine was stock when I did mine by the way and I got the 87 Octane

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
melsayed