Emergency brake seized up

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Stimpy911

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know how to fix an emergency brake that has seized? I was doing some work inside the cab on my 2000 burb and I pressed the emergency brake down and now I believe it has seized up. Right rear hub cap gets super hot and I can smell the brakes.

Trying to avoid a shop fee if I can. Any suggestions?

SnowDrifter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Washington. The desert side not the Starbucks side
After verifying that it's something with the ebrake and not a seized caliper or slide, you need to start checking a few things to find out where the bind is.

Does the ebrake pedal release and return to its normal position?

Do you have a cable that's binding up inside it's guide? I'm not sure what your weather is like, but don't rule out the possibility of it literally freezing.

If those check out then your next step is to pull apart the brakes. If your ebrake is applied as strongly as you indicate I'll tell you now, you're going to have a hell of a time getting that rotor off. You may even have to cut it off. I'm not trying to scare you, but I'm trying to save you the time of realizing you have to put the whole thing back together.

OP
OP
S

Stimpy911

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Brake goes easily to floor and back.

Got underneath and looked. The cable on the right had already been detached and I am assuming the left one broke because it is no longer attached to the brake. I could not take the rotor off cause I did not have the right type of tools.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ojb226