Electrical system issues

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

HotCarl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey dudes,

Been havin issues with the hoe. For the past six months or so I have been getting massive corrosion on the positive battery terminal and it gets so bad the truck won't even start. So I clean it thoroughly about once a month but the corrosion always comes back. Battery and alternator are two years old, replaced at the same time.

Three days ago it happened again, and I cleaned the terminal and tried to start it up and the starter fried. I just replaced the starter today and it's running but who knows for how long...

Is the culprit here the cable itself? Why does this corrosion keep returning? Positive terminal looks like it came out of saltwater it's so bad, but the negative is squeaky clean. Id hate to replace the battery again in such a short time period. These side mounting batteries drive me crazy!

Thanks!

gpracer1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It is usually caused by the gasses escaping from the battery. Check to see if the battery is cracked at the terminal. When running, check the voltage and make sure it's not over 14.5 so you arent boiling the battery.

You can always get the spray on protectant for terminals.

OP
OP
HotCarl

HotCarl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The terminal doesn't have any visual cracks that I can see. I use the foaming cleaner stuff and the red spray protector on it every time I clean it, and it hasn't solved the issue.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
montanaboy65