Electrical gremlins

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

derfman00

Reaction score
I've been having the random radio reset, stabilitrac warning, service trailer brake system, airbag warming, vehicle hesitation, vehicle dead thing going on.

The problem would be temporarily fixed by releasing and attaching the mega fuse.

Since my vehicle has an extended warranty, I took it in.

First trip to the service department found a weak battery. Not covered. Problem fixed. For ten days.

Second trip found the positive and negative cables' resistance to be too high. The negative cable was getting very hot. Replaced the following cables:

22790285 - positive cable to starter solenoid
22850357 - positive cable
20943125 - alternator battery jumper cable
22846471 - negative cable

$630 installed. I didn't have time to deal with it, unfortunately and I've read these are a pain to change. So $$$.

Thankfully, while it was in, they found the starter needed replacing and the motor mounts as well. Both of these items were covered by my extended warranty. $1200 avoided on that one.

Hopefully this fixes the problem...

Also the service manager said this is a very common problem about 5-6 years in...

OP
OP
D

derfman00

Reaction score
Update: everything still running perfectly. Never had wires go bad on a vehicle before... Weird.

Big Mama

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Unfortunately kind of common to have the cables, especially the ground. The chassis or engine ground gets corroded. Take a look to see if they cleaned up those areas to avoid future trips.

BG1988

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've been having the random radio reset, stabilitrac warning, service trailer brake system, airbag warming, vehicle hesitation, vehicle dead thing going on.

The problem would be temporarily fixed by releasing and attaching the mega fuse.

Since my vehicle has an extended warranty, I took it in.

First trip to the service department found a weak battery. Not covered. Problem fixed. For ten days.

Second trip found the positive and negative cables' resistance to be too high. The negative cable was getting very hot. Replaced the following cables:

22790285 - positive cable to starter solenoid
22850357 - positive cable
20943125 - alternator battery jumper cable
22846471 - negative cable

$630 installed. I didn't have time to deal with it, unfortunately and I've read these are a pain to change. So $$$.

Thankfully, while it was in, they found the starter needed replacing and the motor mounts as well. Both of these items were covered by my extended warranty. $1200 avoided on that one.

Hopefully this fixes the problem...

Also the service manager said this is a very common problem about 5-6 years in...
it's not common it's just they used crappy under sized wires and bad mounting points ( ground wire is chain linked) which makes for increase on resistance...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wbhidalgo17