Electrical Gremlin

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
A few weeks ago my wife told me the radio was acting weird in our 2015 GMC Yukon SLT. She also said there was a security system reset message on the center screen.

I drove it a week ago and it started it again.

The touchscreen would still respond to certain things, but the physical knobs and buttons were non responsive.

The sound was intermittent, the clock in the upper right corner was flashing, the compass wasn’t working. I stopped and restarted it to try to reset it to no avail.

A few days ago, I was told when my wife made a right hand turn, all the warning lights on the dash flashed on then off.

Sunday when we went to run errands, we started it up, but we had to roll down the drivers side window then the passenger side.

I was told it started slow this morning.

I looked at the battery, it looks to be the original. The rig only has 44k on it.

Any thoughts? Battery going bad? Loose grounds?

Don’t want to throw parts at it.

Tahoe14

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Good working batteries are a must for these newer electronic driven vehicles, that’s where I would start, grounds are another area as well as battery cables.

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Take the battery to a local auto parts store and have it bench load tested (not the in-the-truck battery test).

OP
OP
01BlueTahoeGuy
Reaction score
I checked the battery voltage when I got home, my meter shows 12.2 volts.

I looked at what grounds I could find and they all seem clean and tight.

I didn’t realize how crammed in these batteries were. So I am debating on just getting a new battery to see if it solves the issue. I haven’t pulled the it yet but I don’t think it’s OEM.

OP
OP
01BlueTahoeGuy
Reaction score
Replaced the battery tonight.

The one that was in it was at 12.03 volts when I tested it after pulling it out.

The brand was Energy Power, a brand I have never head of, definitely not OEM. No date sticker either.

I was a bit perturbed that the hold down was not very tight and the coolant tank bolts were loose to.

Replaced the battery with an Interstate one from Costco.

Fired it up, got the window test warning for both doors.

Three subsequent starts and that didn’t happen. IMG_2975.jpegIMG_2976.jpeg

Hope this solves the issue.

steve45

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Does your vehicle have a terminal strip that sits on top of the battery? Not shown in the pictures. My 2016 does. I found the connections on this terminal strip were loose/dirty/corroded. They must be cleaned just like the connections on the battery itself.

OP
OP
01BlueTahoeGuy
Reaction score
Yes, mine has the the terminal strip on top of the battery.

The terminals were clean, with out ant corrosion, I did make sure all the connections were tight while I was working on it.

I was a bit surprised given that it is a 2015, but everything is clean and tight.

I do wish it had the battery set up that is in my 2001 Tahoe, as ! could have just swapped it and been fine.

So far, it appears to have solved the problem.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ihaveatahoetoo