Electrical Bug!!!??!?!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
ChuckNorris

ChuckNorris

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
A friend had a phantom draw that no one could find on his '96. So he had me install a battery disconnect for him. It worked for him the entire time he had the truck thereafter. No more dead battery. It's a feasible solution for this particular generation, in articular if you exhausted all other options. I personally couldn't recommend it for anything newer though.
I actually keep a second battery in the truck for that purpose lol . But a disconnect would have a dual purpose .
People like to take things that aren’t theirs around here… I don’t get it I’m with these trucks either. Lol
it is a 2Door and there’s 4 points where folks have tried to break in.
good idea. I’m gonna chase those points today if the weather allows - I have covered parking no garage !

Attachments

• 11B3A346-DF1C-49EC-97E3-F2A093D38533.jpeg
    11B3A346-DF1C-49EC-97E3-F2A093D38533.jpeg
    170.7 KB · Views: 1

Hoesgottaeat2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Keep us posted on what you decide to do. Always love to hear when an issue has been resolved.

Al Miner

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I’ve been to school - all the parsitic draw education you can get still doesn’t explain the draw . There’s like 7 or 8 things eating at it.
Seems to be something different everytime I hit the drawing board.
And I know ALL of these trucks have an electrical of something - I helped push one with a similar problem lol

^^
do get a little irritate when folks “assume” . The whole YouTube offer - is a little assumptious .
and I’m not a YouTube master tech. I’m an actual mechanic .
Not just a parts replacer .

Example - every 3rd time I went to go start the truck, nothing but a running boost would get it going .
GM dealer couldn’t even explain it.
someone said it was my alternator
the other half said it was the starter .
the guy I talked to about my starter, said it was pointless to “rebuild“ it and sauder? < not sure on the spelling sorry. But
I fixed it and it sings like a canary...
even took it for the same drive, same heat and everything. ‍♀️
Another place you may want to check is your alternator. If a diode fails, it will draw power. Wait for an hour or so after running the truck and check to see if the alternator is hot enough to fry an egg. That could be your intermittent dead battery culprit.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brian12019