Electrical Bug!!!??!?!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ChuckNorris

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
so the gist,
everytime I straighten one thing out, another issue shows up!
electrical/overheating …

new water pump,
alternator
tensioner
dropped the AC just using a pulley for now,
replaced the wiper motor > some reason it just randomly started working …

fast forward,
pulled the transmission/tcase to replace the flex-plate and torque converter…

everything’s back together, works runs great !

now there’s something eating my battery > had this issue before but at some point it just stopped? mind boggling…
man’s then the wiper motor decided it doesn’t want to work again ‍♀️ ….

bit of a background - I did purchase it, when I did … the guy had the “receiver” removed and I pulled the stereo to see if it was drawing.. helped for a little while . However like a bandaid, short term solution!
any ideas ????!

P.S dont mind the paint job on the hood >> its going cartoon in the next year lol

Attachments

• 6F1EE169-90E1-4E9B-9D34-FC9D0243026B.jpeg
    6F1EE169-90E1-4E9B-9D34-FC9D0243026B.jpeg
    170.7 KB · Views: 5

YukonGTmaster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
so the gist,
everytime I straighten one thing out, another issue shows up!
electrical/overheating …

new water pump,
alternator
tensioner
dropped the AC just using a pulley for now,
replaced the wiper motor > some reason it just randomly started working …

fast forward,
pulled the transmission/tcase to replace the flex-plate and torque converter…

everything’s back together, works runs great !

now there’s something eating my battery > had this issue before but at some point it just stopped? mind boggling…
man’s then the wiper motor decided it doesn’t want to work again ‍♀️ ….

bit of a background - I did purchase it, when I did … the guy had the “receiver” removed and I pulled the stereo to see if it was drawing.. helped for a little while . However like a bandaid, short term solution!
any ideas ????!

P.S dont mind the paint job on the hood >> its going cartoon in the next year lol
The multifunction switch (Signal/Wiper Stalk) is a known weak point on these trucks. I would lean towards that if you are having wiper issues after replacing the motor.

Power drains are tough to diagnose. Check that your dome lights are not staying on. I keep my "overide" button at the light switch activated, because if I don't battery is Dead!

My last head scratcher, was my battery was going dead flat after work. I noticed with key off, my fuel pump continued to run. It turned out to be a circuit in the oil pressure switch that had failed closed.

The more time you spend with the truck the more you will be familiar with it's quirks. Nice GT!!!!

Last edited:

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Welcome to the Forum from NH.

Lots of knowledgeable folks here who freely share their knowledge, experiences, and perspectives. Knowledge is power.

I hope that you will become a participating member in the Forum's discussions.

Pics of the truck, please.

You are already receiving sage advice from the knowledgeable folks on this Forum.

OP
OP
ChuckNorris

ChuckNorris

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
The multifunction switch (Signal/Wiper Stalk) is a known weak point on these trucks. I would lean towards that if you are having wiper issues after replacing the motor. << I never touched it! To my understanding . The only time I was in the area was to reinstalled the lockdown cable if the 700r4

Power drains are tough to diagnose. Check that your dome lights are not staying on. I keep my "overide" button at the light switch activated, because if I don't battery is Dead! << it was a culprit before . However it can be “on” without it being on, at least I’ve kind of noticed. I noticed the alternator keeps “going” usually it sits at 14, but it fluctuates a bit between 12 and 15-16 … it seems to be like 5 issues maybe causing. Would bad grounds cause a drain you think?

My last head scratcher, was my battery was going dead flat after work. I noticed with key off, my fuel pump continued to run. It turned out to be a circuit in the oil pressure switch that had failed closed. << all the fuel related conponents, exvept the inline filter/throttle were changed out when I put in this other motor about 1.5yrs ago. I guess it could be possible stuff can fail again.

The more time you spend with the truck the more you will be familiar with it's quirks. Nice GT!!!! << thankyou.
She’s been quite the pain in the ass. but threw life and it’s fun lemons, I’ve been able to keep it! so, I really really ! Don’t! Want to give up on it lol.

does yours have a bike hatch on the side ? that looks cool!

OP
OP
ChuckNorris

ChuckNorris

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Welcome to the Forum from NH.

Lots of knowledgeable folks here who freely share their knowledge, experiences, and perspectives. Knowledge is power.

I hope that you will become a participating member in the Forum's discussions.

Pics of the truck, please.

You are already receiving sage advice from the knowledgeable folks on this Forum.
Who knows maybe I will maybe I won’t. I’ve been a member of this site since the guys put it up. Which was great. Cuzz I hate Facebook and deleted it shortly after.

and This isn’t my first post. Just didn’t leave the first one up cuzz nobody cares .

Fless

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Lots of good YouTube videos out there showing how to diagnose parasitic draw. Eric at South Main Auto, and Ivan at Pine Hollow Auto Diagnostics both have decent ones, and there are others.

OP
OP
ChuckNorris

ChuckNorris

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
The visor light is a known culprit for parasitic voltage draw on this generation. When the visor is flipped down, the mirror cover spring loses strength over time and pops open just enough to turn that visor light on. Check it in the dark to see if this is the case.
what do you know! Mine does have a light but they don’t come on!
I’ll check that out tomorrow

OP
OP
ChuckNorris

ChuckNorris

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Lots of good YouTube videos out there showing how to diagnose parasitic draw. Eric at South Main Auto, and Ivan at Pine Hollow Auto Diagnostics both have decent ones, and there are others.
I’ve been to school - all the parsitic draw education you can get still doesn’t explain the draw . There’s like 7 or 8 things eating at it.
Seems to be something different everytime I hit the drawing board.
And I know ALL of these trucks have an electrical of something - I helped push one with a similar problem lol

^^
do get a little irritate when folks “assume” . The whole YouTube offer - is a little assumptious .
and I’m not a YouTube master tech. I’m an actual mechanic .
Not just a parts replacer .

Example - every 3rd time I went to go start the truck, nothing but a running boost would get it going .
GM dealer couldn’t even explain it.
someone said it was my alternator
the other half said it was the starter .
the guy I talked to about my starter, said it was pointless to “rebuild“ it and sauder? < not sure on the spelling sorry. But
I fixed it and it sings like a canary...
even took it for the same drive, same heat and everything. ‍♀️

Attachments

• 14D34FAC-DE34-4F12-8392-2884B422AD45.jpeg
    14D34FAC-DE34-4F12-8392-2884B422AD45.jpeg
    262 KB · Views: 4
  • 0A047F90-7D27-4E41-9953-263F1CE96859.jpeg
    0A047F90-7D27-4E41-9953-263F1CE96859.jpeg
    269.1 KB · Views: 4

Hoesgottaeat2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A friend had a phantom draw that no one could find on his '96. So he had me install a battery disconnect for him. It worked for him the entire time he had the truck thereafter. No more dead battery. It's a feasible solution for this particular generation, in particular if you exhausted all other options. I personally couldn't recommend it for anything newer though.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Speardog