E-lockers / Air lockers / Lunchbox lockers

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BulletProof

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I don't know sh*t about my truck's differentials. I just know that I am tired of it getting stuck if someone happens to throw a snowball at it. Yes, its a 4x4, but that is still two wheel drive if one wheel in the front and one wheel in the back happen to be sitting on ice.

So the solution seems to be a locking diff... but I don't know anything about it.

Will rear diff only suffice?
Will a lunchbox locker cause issues when driving on icy winter roads?
Which is more reliable: air or E?
Which brand/maker?
Is there a specific gear ratio I should look for?

I know so little that I don't even know the right questions to ask!

All help is greatly appreciated.
BP

Hobert

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't know sh*t about my truck's differentials. I just know that I am tired of it getting stuck if someone happens to throw a snowball at it. Yes, its a 4x4, but that is still two wheel drive if one wheel in the front and one wheel in the back happen to be sitting on ice.

So the solution seems to be a locking diff... but I don't know anything about it.

Will rear diff only suffice?
Will a lunchbox locker cause issues when driving on icy winter roads?
Which is more reliable: air or E?
Which brand/maker?
Is there a specific gear ratio I should look for?

I know so little that I don't even know the right questions to ask!

All help is greatly appreciated.
BP
You should have a locking rear differential in the rear. If you still have RPO codes on the glove compartment door you will see the code G80. From what you describe it has failed. The front diff is open by design. Seems to work well as long as the rear locker is working. Options on replacing the G80 are Detroit TruTrac, Yukon Grizzly locker. There are others. G80 not know to stand up to hard use/abuse , thus the moniker "G Bomb"

strutaeng

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Watch this video:

Front + rear locker is obviously better, but rear only is better than none on a 4x4.

Lunchbox locker for daily? Probably not a good idea. Edit: I was under the impression these were like spools (always locked), but looks like they do make automatically locking lunchbox differentials; however, they only work with an open differential carrier.

Air vs E-locker? Probably debatable. Air requires an air compressor, lines, switches, power, etc. Electric requires a bit less, just power and switches. Both are probably good enough for a long time. Both are "selectable" meaning you can turn on and off. Unlike an automatic locker that relies on wheel slippage to turn on. So for the front, if you need to make a tight turn, you can turn off the front locker. Otherwise turning radius suffers since both front wheels are turning at the same rate if locker is engaged.

Gear ratio is another completely different question. You need to provide additional information for that. Wheel size, vehicle use, engine, transmission gear ratios, etc.

Last edited:
OP
OP
BulletProof

BulletProof

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
re: I was under the impression these were like spools (always locked), but looks like they do make automatically locking lunchbox differentials; however, they only work with an open differential carrier.
Isn't the stock rear diff on my '93 "open"?

I was under the impression that a lunchbox locker engaged/disengaged automatically (engaged when accelerating / disengages when not accelerating).
My concern with this solution was that it might create inconsistent traction on ice - making the vehicle break contact with the surface.

Be patient with me.... I think I need an idiots guide!

strutaeng

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Isn't the stock rear diff on my '93 "open"?

I was under the impression that a lunchbox locker engaged/disengaged automatically (engaged when accelerating / disengages when not accelerating).
My concern with this solution was that it might create inconsistent traction on ice - making the vehicle break contact with the surface.

Be patient with me.... I think I need an idiots guide!
You need to see what you have . Look for the G80 RPO code on your glovebox or pull the differential cover. I believe 4x4 did not automatically get you the G80. Likewise, some 2wd GM trucks got the G80. So check first.

You've never noticed a "clunk" during one wheel slippage followed by increased traction from the rear axle? That's how the G80 works.

RE lunchbox lockers: that's what I read about them as well on ice. But there's different designs out there. There may be one that's suitable for daily driving. I'm looking at the Yukon Spartan lunchbox locker, but haven't seen yet how it works. Maybe look into that one, if you happen to have an open differential?

I've always thought that OX locker is so bad a$$ with that lever, LoL. Hey, it's simple and effective. Probably the most reliable, honestly.

OP
OP
BulletProof

BulletProof

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
If you still have RPO codes on the glove compartment door you will see the code G80.
I looked, the code label is still there (albeit very faded) and among the many codes, there is indeed one labelled "G80".

So now my questions are:
1. Can this just be serviced/repaired rather than replaced? Or is that a bad idea?
2. Is there a "drop-in" replacement unit/upgrade?

PS: Yes, I have heard that "clunk" when using the 4x4 system... thought something broke. :rolleyes:

Thank you!
BP

Last edited:

th3 shifty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not to hijack the thread but it’s relevant. I took a look at my sticker in the glove box, I do not have a G80 code, and my truck in a 96 2 door 4x4 with Z71 package… it also has the 3.73 gearing…
How the hell do I not have a factory rear diff on a z71 4x4?

Edit, my only code I have is the GT4 code, which is 3.73 gears. I’m going to go with a TrueTrack

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
meandmyhoe20