E-Fans and larger radiator

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Madgrty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Has anyone here done the E-Fan conversion? Im looking for a factory-like setup. I have a 2003 Yukon with the 5.3 V8. Im pretty deep into the stereo on it, currently spinning 2 370 Amp Mechman alts (soon to be 3) and figured E-fans would help just about everything since it would free amp some of the rotating mass I have added to it. Along with cooling the motor better.

I've seen a setup where someone took the E-Fans from a newer 6.2 (largest OEM cooling fans apparently) and also setup a factory temp sensor to the PCM so the fans come in with AC, while at idle, shut off at highway speeds, stay off when warming up, etc. Also, apparently the GMT800's before 2005 need the "radiator upgrade" for this mod. Since the front of my truck is currently apart for some custom bodywork, figured now would be the time to do it. Also considering adding a big tranny radiator with its own electric fan, if anyone could point me in that direction also. I know this has been talked about a few times, but I haven't really found anything detailed about the conversion for a factory-like PCM controlled setup. Let me know, thanks!

Rivieraracing

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I used efans from a '05, it's a great upgrade just don't know about the newer fans though. As for the trans cooler, I upgraded to a bigger trans cooler and that was a great upgrade but also did an aux fan on it and it does very little for temps.

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There's lots of info here on the e-fan conversion using either factory parts from a donor vehicle or new parts. I used new fans meant for an 05 and a harness from www.ls1fans.com. and had my tuner (Blackbear Performance) turn on the pin in my PCM so it's controlled by it. There's a huge thread in the tech section I believe but LS1fans also has info. As for the radiator, there were 2 stock sizes and you need the larger (36"?) one. Mine had the right size. As far as trans cooler, I used a Tru Cool Max. Highly recommended.

OP
OP
Madgrty

Madgrty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'll take a look for some threads and also look into that tranny cooler. I'm hoping to swap to AWD while my engine and tranny are being built which I'll need a tune after all that's done anyway. Thanks!

Tonyrodz

Resident Resident
Reaction score
I'm actually going to do this same swap on my 03 Hoe. I also bought the efan harness with relays from ls1fans.com also. I didn't know about the fan size tho. I also got my fans from an 05.IMAG2185.jpg IMAG2156.jpgI also upgraded to a 160 amp alternator.

OP
OP
Madgrty

Madgrty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Will do, and I was hoping to find a harness that didn't have the relays and was strictly PCM controlled. I'll take a look at that thread Red Rocket

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Will do, and I was hoping to find a harness that didn't have the relays and was strictly PCM controlled. I'll take a look at that thread Red Rocket
They all have relays, OE or aftermarket. The fans draw a huge amount of power and the relays are necessary because of this. If you end up getting the OE harness off a wrecked truck, it will have a relay pack. The PCM just has small, low-power trigger wires that activate the relays. No way could 50 amps or more go through the PCM!

OP
OP
Madgrty

Madgrty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ahh, didn't think of that. I'll look into ordering from the LS1.com site for the harness, luckily my radiator is already the right size! Although I may still replace anyways since I'm at 145,000 on mine. Would hurt to do it now

OP
OP
Madgrty

Madgrty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Do they make any aftermarket "upgraded" radiators that are maybe a littl thicker? I know it's not really needed, but I put one on a car I had a while back and it did help in the summer months

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nyc2011Denali