duramax 3.0 fuel additive

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Echoboy

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I've driven a diesel vehicle fro 16 yrs. there's always been a fuel additive to help keep the clean and lubricated.
I have a 2021 suburban with 3.0 Duramax. Have 12,000 miles on it, 3rd oil change... I have asked several Cheve
service techs what fuel additive to use...every one of them has a different response , like they're not sure what I'm talking about. I really like this vehicle, it's great for every-day, trips, and pulling my cargo trailer. Can someone help
with my fuel additive concern....Larry

StephenPT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Directly from the 3.0L Duramax supplement manual -

"TOP TIER Detergent Diesel is highly recommended for use with
your vehicle. If your area does not have TOP TIER Detergent Diesel,
GM recommends the use of ACDelco Diesel Fuel Conditioner.
This will help maintain optimal engine performance. GM does not
recommend other aftermarket diesel additives.
If low-quality diesel is used for refueling, GM recommends adding ACDelco Fuel System Treatment
Plus-Diesel to help clean engine deposits.
This is available only at your GM dealer."

Stbentoak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
In cold reality, modern diesels don't really need any additives at all. Just change the fuel filter at half the recommended rate and you will be fine. The only exceptions to this are, some Power service when its below 0F just for insurance, and just for the heck of it I dump a can of Seafoam in a full tank in mine twice a year for 7 bucks a can. Never had any issues or fuel related problems including my 17 year old RAM Cummins. Additives just drive up your cost per mile and are overkill for weekly consumption...

Bill 1960

Testing the Limits
Reaction score
I’ve been driving diesels a lot longer, and there were times when lubricating properties of the newer (at that time) fuels didn’t meet the needs of older equipment.

This is not that time, and modern engine components were designed for these more highly refined fuels.

Additives only empty your wallet.

Seamus

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Todays low sulfur fuel and not being able to find "TOP Tier" fuel station most of the time is my reasoning. I have used this for years on three different vehicles and never had an injector or motor issue. When I tow, I put in 2 ounces instead of the 1 as it ups the cetane rating.

Brand0n

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Temperatures are dropping below zero this weekend - are most 3.0 owners using additives?

Jellyfrosh

Reaction score
I've been using ACDelco Cold Flow additive or ACDelco Diesel Fuel Conditioner when I can find it, I've only found one dealer in a ~200 mile radius that sells it. It's what the owners manual calls for.

Stbentoak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'd definitely put in some Power Service this weekend. Can't hurt anything. Also plug it in if it sits outside and you plan on using it. If you aren't, then plug it in about 6 hrs before you go somewhere. In all reality this cold will probably hardly faze it, really....These vehicles are more robust than you think...

Brand0n

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks all, I picked up some “hotshot diesel winter anti gel” for todays fill up to be safe.

Larsonxjs

Reaction score
Good info here. We are going to get close to 10°F. Do I need anti-gel? It more than likely will be parked outside. 5C3517CE-1A91-4F9F-9713-424289A70B65.jpeg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dvnt