Durability of cheap-feeling interior plastics?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jettix2

Reaction score
22 Suburban LT. Black interior, quad buckets.

We have 3 kids so our vehicle sees regular usage in all 3 rows. I’m pretty OCD about keeping my vehicles clean and in as “new” condition as possible.

Has anyone else noticed that some of the interior plastics seem to be sub-par? Are yours wearing OK? Contrary to all the magazine articles that raved about how the interior quality was amazing, I’m not really impressed considering what these cost.

I’ve noticed the turn signal stalk seems REALLY flimsy, some of the HVAC buttons seem really thin, and our drivers door panel has a bunch of marks on it that seem to be from the seatbelt buckle hitting it when my wife releases it (she is short, at 4-10” so the seat is far forward when she drives), as best I can figure.

Took delivery with 2 miles on the odo and truck has under 8,000 miles on it still.

I’m attributing some of this to Covid-supplier issues, but the switchgear in every GM truck I’ve owned prior to this seemed more solid, and I don’t remember visible door panel marks in our 14 Escalade (sold at 72k) or 13 Burb LT (sold at 95k).

Anybody else?

DuraYuk

Full Access Member
Reaction score

We have 3 kids so our vehicle sees regular usage in all 3 rows. I’m pretty OCD about keeping my vehicles clean and in as “new” condition as possible.

Has anyone else noticed that some of the interior plastics seem to be sub-par? Are yours wearing OK? Contrary to all the magazine articles that raved about how the interior quality was amazing, I’m not really impressed considering what these cost.

I’ve noticed the turn signal stalk seems REALLY flimsy, some of the HVAC buttons seem really thin, and our drivers door panel has a bunch of marks on it that seem to be from the seatbelt buckle hitting it when my wife releases it (she is short, at 4-10” so the seat is far forward when she drives), as best I can figure.

Took delivery with 2 miles on the odo and truck has under 8,000 miles on it still.

I’m attributing some of this to Covid-supplier issues, but the switchgear in every GM truck I’ve owned prior to this seemed more solid, and I don’t remember visible door panel marks in our 14 Escalade (sold at 72k) or 13 Burb LT (sold at 95k).

Anybody else?
My 23 yukon slt feels solid on the stalks. Same with door panels. Can't imagine it's much different then yours and I'm a toyota/Lexus guy at heart. Im pretty happy with everything. Soft where it needs to be and ******* other parts.

I do have the premium luxury package so not sure if the door panel is different. Im sure all the stalks are the same.

R32driver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My one complaint about the interior is the hard plastics seem to scratch really easily. We have little scratches all over the place. Center console, door panels, B pillars by the seatbelt and the rear cargo area is scratched all over the place. Black interior so maybe it just shows up more? We had a 2011 suburban for almost 10 years prior to this and never noticed this issue but it had gray interior.

Family vehicle with active kids on the go so added wear and tear is expected but this seems kind of excessive for only being a year and a half old. Bought it new so I know it's all appeared under my watch

OP
OP
J

Jettix2

Reaction score
My one complaint about the interior is the hard plastics seem to scratch really easily. We have little scratches all over the place. Center console, door panels, B pillars by the seatbelt and the rear cargo area is scratched all over the place. Black interior so maybe it just shows up more? We had a 2011 suburban for almost 10 years prior to this and never noticed this issue but it had gray interior.

Family vehicle with active kids on the go so added wear and tear is expected but this seems kind of excessive for only being a year and a half old. Bought it new so I know it's all appeared under my watch
Agreed.

agreed 100% but ours is only 5 months old so I’m just starting to notice the scratches.

Side note - my Username is back from my MK4 VR6 days when we had 2 Jetta's in the driveway. Nothing sounds as good as a VR6 with an intake and exhaust. Always wanted an R32 but never got one:)

R32driver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Agreed.

agreed 100% but ours is only 5 months old so I’m just starting to notice the scratches.

Side note - my Username is back from my MK4 VR6 days when we had 2 Jetta's in the driveway. Nothing sounds as good as a VR6 with an intake and exhaust. Always wanted an R32 but never got one:)
VR6 makes an incredible sound that’s for sure. I’m a die hard vw guy so getting my R a few years ago was a dream come true. Puts a smile on my face every time I drive it

B520044

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes, very cheap materials. I have scratches everywhere. The rear storage area is a total mess from suitcases, backpacks and everyday use. I use to buy a new vehicle yearly, so I have a good idea of quality materials. These do not have it. However I'm actually trying not to care anymore; as I too am OCD about my interior and want to stop buying a new every year or so.... If I lower my standards then maybe I'll keep the vehicle longer...

bill1013

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wait until the heat causes cracks and structural weakness. There are no after market replacements at all. Your on your own and you will have to come up with something on your own.

tahoe81

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Anybody else?
Yep. 2022 Tahoe LT. Got 9400 miles at this point. I'm massively OCD with keeping things looking as new as possible and already I've got scratches seemingly everywhere. I immediately noticed the turn signal stalk feeling flimsy and unlike any other vehicle I've ever drove. The area right where the wireless charger is has scratches on it and I'm SUPER careful about never putting keys or anything in that area so I have zero clue how there's scratches there. Driver door panel is scratched too where the seat belt rests when it's not latched. The seat belt never successfully fits back into the area next to the seat and thus always rubs. HVAC buttons are flimsy as can be. It's almost like all the parts were created at different places and then assembled somewhere else. The window controls, buttons on the steering wheel and buttons overhead all seem stiff and tactile but the rear HVAC control buttons for example feel like they may break at any time they're so cheap feeling. This is my ever brand new vehicle and considering it was $65k, it's leaving a lot to be desired. I honestly probably won't ever buy another unless I can inspect the interior prior to buying. Unfortunately with covid and things, I ordered this one sight unseen. Lesson learned.

R32driver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This is our first vehicle we’ve bought new and I had plans to baby it and keep it nice. After a year and a half of ownership it’s not gone as planned. Paint damage on front bumper during shipping, front fender scratched by dealership at 3k miles, rock chip on windshield shortly after that, scratches all over the interior, paint damage on rear bumper from hit and run while it was parked and then to top it off some ******** keyed the entire length of the passenger rear fender from the rear door to the tail light. Now it’s broke down at the dealer, I think it’s cursed.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Eliteweapons