Dual Electric Fan Replacement

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ScottyBoy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
04 doesn't have fans either

I'm saying 00-02 high speed is activated via an ac pressure wire. 03-06 is pcm based.
Actually Matt, that's not 100% correct either. 03 and 04, both trigger pins can connect to the PCM. One trigger is temp based, and the second trigger is based on AC system pressure. The PCM monitors the AC pressure and can trigger the fan harness. 00-02 do NOT have an AC pressure sensor controlled by the PCM, so the harness connects to the actual AC compressor clutch trigger wire instead of the PCM. That way when the AC compressor is running, it triggers one of the fans to come on. But the AC compressor clutch wire is a positive wire, it's not a negative trigger like all the PCM trigger wires. So a 05-07 factory harness needs to be slightly modified with an extra relay to convert that positive trigger into a negative trigger.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What is a k5l? Are you saying that if I find a complete assembly for 07-14, it will bolt right in or I have to find the parts for 07-14 and build it and then bolt in?
k5l is 700w motors
most of this just off the top of my head I could be wrong
I can take the shroud out of my 12 and put it in my wifes 05 or vica-versa, same bolt up, same electrical plug.
parts charts are partly B.S.
a radiator will fit 00-14 as long as it's 34" and has the external coolers (oil/trans) as needed.
you can upgrade a 28" radiator to 34" also all you have to change is the shroud
all the 2 pin alternators fit 05-20
brakes fit 07-20 and will fit 00-06 with retro fit 07+calipers and rotors. some even do the 21+ upgrade as long as the wheel is big enough to fit
and there are a couple exceptions some 07's are weird.
plenty of crossover parts but the store or dealer won't tell you that, because the book says so
6.2l intake will fit a 5.3 and vica-versa
throttle bodys are interchangeable as well (depending)......on certain things
z71 skid plates fit 00-06, 07-14, 15-20 (all makes including silverado/sierra)
transfer case skid plate fits all 00-20 including colorado
some seats crossover too (depending).....wheel base has to be the same yada yada

Last edited:

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
These are complete kits

5/7 fan blade
Gm#15780788
$319.95

6.2L
7/9 blade
Gm#15780789
$389.95

Used on all 5/5 blade setup
Gm#84006595
$287.55

5/5 rimless 5/5 blade setup
Gm#84032503
$300.57
So, no New Old Stock anywhere? Even for the shroud?

I have part #1580551 for the motors at RA and #1580682 at RA for the 5 blade and #1580912 at RA for the 7 blade.

When I punch in 84006595 or 84032503 at RA it says the number is not found. Oh well.

ScottyBoy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
k5l is 700w motors
most of this just off the top of my head I could be wrong
I can take the shroud out of my 12 and put it in my wifes 05 or vica-versa, same bolt up, same electrical plug.
parts charts are partly B.S.
a radiator will fit 00-14 as long as it's 34" and has the external coolers (oil/trans) as needed.
you can upgrade a 28" radiator to 34" also all you have to change is the shroud
all the 2 pin alternators fit 05-20
brakes fit 07-20 and will fit 00-06 with retro fit 07+calipers and rotors. some even do the 21+ upgrade as long as the wheel is big enough to fit
and there are a couple exceptions some 07's are weird.
plenty of crossover parts but the store or dealer won't tell you that, because the book says so
6.2l intake will fit a 5.3 and vica-versa
throttle bodys are interchangeable as well (depending)......on certain things
z71 skid plates fit 00-06, 07-14, 15-20 (all makes including silverado/sierra)
transfer case skid plate fits all 00-20 including colorado
some seats crossover too (depending).....wheel base has to be the same yada yada
I can confirm that 07-14 fan/should assemblies are indeed direct bolt on to a 00-06 as long as you have a 34" radiator. As far as I know, only trucks with 4.8 engine came with a 28" radiator, but I'm not 100% positive on that one. And on the 2005-2020 2-pin alternators, yes will bolt up directly on a 04 and older, but I hear it's a severe pain to modify it to actually work. Something about the 2005 on up having that sensor on the negative battery cable and the computer telling the alternator when to charge or not charge. Easiest retrofit us a 2004 Denali or Escalade high amperage alternator if you are trying to upgrade a 04 or older. I have a 04 Escalade 160amp junkyard alternator on mine and it's been working great the last few years. If and when it ever fails, I'll probably just go with a true high amp alternator though.
I also did the 07-14 brake upgrade on my 2001. I ordered rotors, pads,and calipers for a 2007 Suburban from Rockauto and it all bolted right on. I do hear mixed things about some 07's having smaller brakes though, so I'm not 100% sure about that but 07 Burbans apparently have the 13" brakes. Maybe just some Tahoes have the smaller brakes? I dunno......

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I can confirm that 07-14 fan/should assemblies are indeed direct bolt on to a 00-06 as long as you have a 34" radiator. As far as I know, only trucks with 4.8 engine came with a 28" radiator, but I'm not 100% positive on that one. And on the 2005-2020 2-pin alternators, yes will bolt up directly on a 04 and older, but I hear it's a severe pain to modify it to actually work. Something about the 2005 on up having that sensor on the negative battery cable and the computer telling the alternator when to charge or not charge. Easiest retrofit us a 2004 Denali or Escalade high amperage alternator if you are trying to upgrade a 04 or older. I have a 04 Escalade 160amp junkyard alternator on mine and it's been working great the last few years. If and when it ever fails, I'll probably just go with a true high amp alternator though.
I also did the 07-14 brake upgrade on my 2001. I ordered rotors, pads,and calipers for a 2007 Suburban from Rockauto and it all bolted right on. I do hear mixed things about some 07's having smaller brakes though, so I'm not 100% sure about that but 07 Burbans apparently have the 13" brakes. Maybe just some Tahoes have the smaller brakes? I dunno......
I had a 240amp on my 00 but it was a aftermarket from autozone at the time that they sold back then, my 03 silverado 5.3l had the 28" radiator for whatever reason, that was a easy upgrade because there were plenty of shrouds in the junkyard

ScottyBoy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So, no New Old Stock anywhere? Even for the shroud?
Oh well.
As long as your existing electric fan shroud and blades are not cracked or damaged, you should be able to clean it up and make it look like new. I got a set out the junkyard that looked trashed, took them completely apart. Took the blades, and motors and all apart. I completely cleaned and scrubbed the blades and shroud with some All Purpose Cleaner/Degreaser and even though it took a few passes, I eventually got it COMPLETELY clean. Then after it's all dry, I coated the plastic with Stoner's Trim Shine in an aerosol can. This stuff makes black plastic look like NEW. But they have a version a spray bottle AND an aerosol can. The one in the bottle can drop/run. The aerosol doesn't run unless you spray it on SUPER heavy. I use this stuff on black plastics in the engine compartment, the windshield cowl, rear bumper plastic, even my wheel wells.

blueinkd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Good info here. So the motors on these fan assemblies are serviceable. Any real reason besides a wreck to consider replacing the fan blades?? I like the preventive maintenance and I'd first invest in both motors before a random failure and overheating issues. All other hoses and cooling components are new and rig over 275k miles.

Denalibro76

Reaction score
That’s why I love this group! So much great info!! I’m trying to locate all the pieces to do the conversion on my 03’ Yukon. So all of this is so good to know