Dual Alternator wiring 07 Tahoe

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MalcDogg

Reaction score
So I purchased the dual alternator bracket and second alternator 4 pin got everything installed but the second alternator is on putting out 11-12 volts and it’s not keeping my second battery charged

Can someone help me out?

exp500

Full Access Member
Reaction score
More info needed> Like Exactly how it is wired. How is the computer controlling 2nd alt? There are several threads here with multiple hi amp alts for reference.

OP
OP
MalcDogg

MalcDogg

Reaction score
More info needed> Like Exactly how it is wired. How is the computer controlling 2nd alt? There are several threads here with multiple hi amp alts for reference.

2nd alternator has a 4 pin
Only 2 wires from the 4 pin one wire with resistor is connected to ignition on
The other wire is connected to battery post on alternator and battery is connected there as while

8AFB1852-152A-49F9-86D2-ACE27BBE1007.jpeg

exp500

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Computer controlled OEM Alt in 1st position, 2nd position you have alt idling with no control. You didn't provide what you did for install of 2nd battery, No specs on Truck or alts. Standalone? Parallel? Called charging system for a reason.
I think you bought the wrong alt for your "upgrade", so it has the wrong voltage regulator for way you have it wired.

OP
OP
MalcDogg

MalcDogg

Reaction score
Computer controlled OEM Alt in 1st position, 2nd position you have alt idling with no control. You didn't provide what you did for install of 2nd battery, No specs on Truck or alts. Standalone? Parallel? Called charging system for a reason.
I think you bought the wrong alt for your "upgrade", so it has the wrong voltage regulator for way you have it wired.

The 2nd alternator (253amp) came with the bracket and 4 pin connector but no instructions on how to wire it the connector only has 2 wires one as a resistor on it I’m pretty sure that wire goes to ignition power when key is on

I have a 2nd battery that stands alone for the second alternator

it’s a stand alone setup

exp500

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Post full specs for truck including part numbers for truck alt and#2 alt. 4 pin flat? 4 pin oval? Which 2 pins? or I'm done.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cbrpilot2