DRL recall

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DougAMiller

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a question about this for anyone that has had the recall performed. After the fix, do the DRLs turn off completely, or do they dim? Pretty much every car I see on the road with LED strip DRLs have them dim when the headlights turn on. They don't turn off completely, which is how my Escalade currently works.

So, what I would like to know is, are mine currently functioning as they should and the recall won't change anything, or will they turn off completely when the headlights are on after they do the recall fix? I asked the Cadillac service advisor and he said they will turn off, but I have been watching Tahoe/Yukon/Escalades on the road at night and every one that I have seen have been on, but dimmed. So I am not sure if he is correct.

Even better if there's a GM tech on here that has performed the recall that could give a definitive answer.

StephenPT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had the BCM flash done at the dealer a week ago. The DRLs dim when the headlights are on. I did not notice my DRLs staying bright with the headlights on before the update. My guess is it's a software glitch and sometimes they dim and other times they don't. The software update takes care of that glitch.

The change I and others on the forum noticed after the update is that during the day if you turn your fog lights (Yukon only) on, the DRLs will stay bright. Before the update the DRLs would dim if you turned on the fog lights.

Banks22

Full Access Member
Reaction score
On my 22’ refresh Silverado the DRL’s are bright when the headlights are off and go dim when headlights on. It’s a 3 way multifunction switch for the DRL’s, bright, dim, blinker. I know cuz I had mine into service 6 times cuz my blinker kept going out and this was the issue, replaced the whole switch. So I assume this is how they want the Tahoe’s to work

ZKWBQD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a question about this for anyone that has had the recall performed. After the fix, do the DRLs turn off completely, or do they dim? Pretty much every car I see on the road with LED strip DRLs have them dim when the headlights turn on. They don't turn off completely, which is how my Escalade currently works.

So, what I would like to know is, are mine currently functioning as they should and the recall won't change anything, or will they turn off completely when the headlights are on after they do the recall fix? I asked the Cadillac service advisor and he said they will turn off, but I have been watching Tahoe/Yukon/Escalades on the road at night and every one that I have seen have been on, but dimmed. So I am not sure if he is correct.

Even better if there's a GM tech on here that has performed the recall that could give a definitive answer.
I permanently disabled my Daytime Running Lights a few days after receiving my new Tahoe. They do nothing to improve safety and are only a "decoration”. General Motors, on two separate occasions, petitioned the government to mandate the use of Daytime Running Lights. On both occasions, the Department of Transportation was unable to find ANY safety improvement with the use of DRLs. GM's request was denied, twice. You'll notice most law enforcement vehicles have there DRLs OFF, including ones from General Motors that require a simple programming ‘bit’ to disable.

Remember, DRLs are not mandatory in the United States. You don't have to have them if you don't want them. If buying from stock, INSIST that the dealer disable the DRLs as a condition of sale. Contrary to what the dealer might say, there is no law in the US preventing them from doing so. On my Tahoe, I can turn them on, or off anytime at my command.

There are MANY situations where you want to turn off all vehicle lights. There are over 400 Movie Drive-Ins in America today, or you might be waiting outside for someone at night and don't want to shine your lights in someone's face or windows. Or maybe you just think it's silly to drive around with your lights on when it's hot and sunny outside.

Daytime Running Lights also (slightly) reduce fuel efficiency. That is why ALL auto manufacturers disconnect them for the EPA fuel efficiency tests. Toyota, Tesla, and some other manufacturers have “DRL OFF” right on the light switch.

BrokerThis

'22 Denali Dmax
Reaction score
Daytime Running Lights also (slightly) reduce fuel efficiency. That is why ALL auto manufacturers disconnect them for the EPA fuel efficiency tests. Toyota, Tesla, and some other manufacturers have “DRL OFF” right on the light switch.

Never heard that one before for a gas/diesel ....

adam_engler

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
On my 22’ refresh Silverado the DRL’s are bright when the headlights are off and go dim when headlights on. It’s a 3 way multifunction switch for the DRL’s, bright, dim, blinker. I know cuz I had mine into service 6 times cuz my blinker kept going out and this was the issue, replaced the whole switch. So I assume this is how they want the Tahoe’s to work
I have a 23 Tahoe on order and I really want the DRLs to stay bright with headlights on. Do you know or have you heard of this being possible after this stupid recall? I've looked at a few different models and the DRLs dim with headlights on. I just really like the brighter look.

adam_engler

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I permanently disabled my Daytime Running Lights a few days after receiving my new Tahoe. They do nothing to improve safety and are only a "decoration”. General Motors, on two separate occasions, petitioned the government to mandate the use of Daytime Running Lights. On both occasions, the Department of Transportation was unable to find ANY safety improvement with the use of DRLs. GM's request was denied, twice. You'll notice most law enforcement vehicles have there DRLs OFF, including ones from General Motors that require a simple programming ‘bit’ to disable.

Remember, DRLs are not mandatory in the United States. You don't have to have them if you don't want them. If buying from stock, INSIST that the dealer disable the DRLs as a condition of sale. Contrary to what the dealer might say, there is no law in the US preventing them from doing so. On my Tahoe, I can turn them on, or off anytime at my command.

There are MANY situations where you want to turn off all vehicle lights. There are over 400 Movie Drive-Ins in America today, or you might be waiting outside for someone at night and don't want to shine your lights in someone's face or windows. Or maybe you just think it's silly to drive around with your lights on when it's hot and sunny outside.

How do DRL being on reduce fuel mileage? I can't wait to here this one. I've been a diesel/auto mechanic for 25 years so I'm really excited for the answer to this question! Can't wait to tell the boy's at the dealership this one.

R32driver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Why would anyone want to disable the drl on these new vehicles? They look awesome and most people want them to stay brighter not turn off altogether. Sure there’s certain time you might want them off but a simple twist of the headlight switch gets that done

adam_engler

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Why would anyone want to disable the drl on these new vehicles? They look awesome and most people want them to stay brighter not turn off altogether. Sure there’s certain time you might want them off but a simple twist of the headlight switch gets that done
I totally agree with you! If I can figure out how to fully enabled the DRLs while headlights are on I will definitely leave the answer here!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MyCleftNut

Latest posts