DRL Not working

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Crippin87

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone, I’m having trouble with my DRL in my ’15 Tahoe. My headlights are always on. I replaced my ambient light sensor thinking that would solve the problem but it didn’t help. Anyone else ever have this problem or have and other suggestions?

txdrifter17

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Have 2017 Tahoe Premier with factory HID headlights. Driver side DRL not working. Have done some research and can find only one video that covers anything close. This video however, is on a 15 Yukon with halogen. Don't know if it's the same board or not. He also mentions that there are separate fuses for left and right. I've checked the owners manual, several online sources, etc. and can't even determine which fuses control the DRLs!? My hunch is that it is a relay, not a fuse but can't confirm. Disassembly of whole unit to run a jumper on a board and then sealing everything back up properly looks like more than I can manage even though I've had the entire grill off once already for a turn signal issue. Also, $1200+ to replace is something else I'm not willing to do. What I would like to do is purchase two complete new aftermarket LED assemblies and install them. The problem is that they all state in their descriptions: "for halogen models only, will not fit HID models" So far, I have been unable to find any information at all on the mysteries of HID nor anyone who knows anything about them. Surely someone out there can educate me a bit. What would it take to do the above described conversion. I'm not the sharpest tack in the box but since I would be changing out both entire assemblies, there should be a way! I have found HID/LED conversions for existing assemblies but that is just a bulb/wiring adapter change which does not help me with my DRL issue. Suggestions, ideas, comments? Any help appreciated!

markni12301

Reaction score
Have 2017 Tahoe Premier with factory HID headlights. Driver side DRL not working. Have done some research and can find only one video that covers anything close. This video however, is on a 15 Yukon with halogen. Don't know if it's the same board or not. He also mentions that there are separate fuses for left and right. I've checked the owners manual, several online sources, etc. and can't even determine which fuses control the DRLs!? My hunch is that it is a relay, not a fuse but can't confirm. Disassembly of whole unit to run a jumper on a board and then sealing everything back up properly looks like more than I can manage even though I've had the entire grill off once already for a turn signal issue. Also, $1200+ to replace is something else I'm not willing to do. What I would like to do is purchase two complete new aftermarket LED assemblies and install them. The problem is that they all state in their descriptions: "for halogen models only, will not fit HID models" So far, I have been unable to find any information at all on the mysteries of HID nor anyone who knows anything about them. Surely someone out there can educate me a bit. What would it take to do the above described conversion. I'm not the sharpest tack in the box but since I would be changing out both entire assemblies, there should be a way! I have found HID/LED conversions for existing assemblies but that is just a bulb/wiring adapter change which does not help me with my DRL issue. Suggestions, ideas, comments? Any help appreciated!
I cannot offer any advice on either post but am watching because I'm curious as to the answer replies.
But I can say, txdrifter17, that your issue is quite different than OP's. I am thinking your issue would best be served by creating a whole new thread titled something like 'DRL not working, need HID/LED assembly advice' or something like that. I'd watch that also and it would be beneficial for many others also. Just thought I'd bring that up because it might be difficult to get focused replies to you specifically on another OPs thread.
Cheers, guys. And sorry you have to deal with these frustrating issues.

RST Dana

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone, I’m having trouble with my DRL in my ’15 Tahoe. My headlights are always on. I replaced my ambient light sensor thinking that would solve the problem but it didn’t help. Anyone else ever have this problem or have and other suggestions?
I believe DRL in yours would be the low beams. DRL via the led strip didn’t happened until a few years later.

OP
OP
Crippin87

Crippin87

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I believe DRL in yours would be the low beams. DRL via the led strip didn’t happened until a few years later.
Man no kidding? lol I swear mine used to just be the led strip, that’s so weird

RST Dana

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I guess the 15 and 16 models didn’t use the led strip as the drl lights. So I guess that was my issue? ‍♂️
Correct. You can get a wiring adapter which simulates the led strip, but it will not be as bright as the true LED DDL strip from @cmatt

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dvnt