Driving with a broken front sway bar, is it SAFE?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bijo007

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hello. I’m a newly sighnee and need your help guys. I just bought a 2003 Yukon XL Denali and in deep shaite. I was told by the mechanic that I have a broken front sway bar. This is not the worst problem though. The previous owner lived on Cape and the bottom is all rusted. I just (Mechanik) welded a subframe, don’t know what it is, and was told that I can drive like this very slowly and don’t make any sharp turns at high speed until I can replace those parts. Now can you guys tell me if it is safe to drive like that? Also can I fix the rust so it wouldn’t spread and is this all worth it? The car drives and everything is fine as far as interior and drivetrain goes. Any helpful advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Tiki

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The vehicle can be driven without a sway bar but will affect your handling. I drove my 2007 Tahoe without sway bar end links for several hundred miles.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hello. I’m a newly sighnee and need your help guys. I just bought a 2003 Yukon XL Denali and in deep shaite. I was told by the mechanic that I have a broken front sway bar. This is not the worst problem though. The previous owner lived on Cape and the bottom is all rusted. I just (Mechanik) welded a subframe, don’t know what it is, and was told that I can drive like this very slowly and don’t make any sharp turns at high speed until I can replace those parts. Now can you guys tell me if it is safe to drive like that? Also can I fix the rust so it wouldn’t spread and is this all worth it? The car drives and everything is fine as far as interior and drivetrain goes. Any helpful advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Drive as you've been advised and all will be fine. I'm curious as to what the mechanic replaced, have any pictures of the underside and the work that was recently done?

How exactly is the anti-sway bar broken?

OP
OP
B

Bijo007

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
4BEB3BC4-9011-46CB-8CFA-D787C12E8685.png
Drive as you've been advised and all will be fine. I'm curious as to what the mechanic replaced, have any pictures of the underside and the work that was recently done?

How exactly is the anti-sway bar broken?

Thank you for your advice. I don’t know exactly but I will take some pics and post it later. He said he had to weld a “subframe” and he will be replacing all of those parts.

wjburken

Supporting Member
Reaction score
The vehicle can be driven without a sway bar but will affect your handling. I drove my 2007 Tahoe without sway bar end links for several hundred miles.

I had all bolts on my ‘07 XL sway bar mount break due to being rusted and seized and didn’t have time to drill them out and replace them right away and had to drive without the sway bar for a few days. Should be fine driving around town but would not try running through any slalom courses.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Eliteweapons