Driving on Ice?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bogart

Reaction score
This is the first winter with my 2013 Tahoe. Unfortunately, it is only 2WD and I have 305/50/20 Nitto Terra Grapplers on it. Living in Texas (Fort Worth) we don't get much bad weather in the winter. This last ice storm we just got was pretty bad and they don't plow or sand the city streets here. The Tahoe didn't do that great on the ice. I turned off the stabilitrac and it did a little better. What else can I do to get better traction on the snow and ice? I don't want to spend a ton of money because it is for only a few times a year. I really only need to go about 12 miles to work or to the grocery store. Would tire chains or cables make much of a difference? I see that our owners manual says not to use them. Would it be okay to use them in short durations and if so which should I get for my fat tires?

Gzes

the drifting 2dr
Reaction score
Y'all melting yet. Up here it starting to. I never chain my tires when there's ice. Just go slow and drive carefully.

OP
OP
B

Bogart

Reaction score
They are saying the temp is now 33 here and it's melting pretty good. With good sunshine and no wind it feels much warmer.

Gzes

the drifting 2dr
Reaction score
Nice it's 32 here. Buddy was in Denton trying to come back this way and was able to get back on the road earlier. Guess he got passed one of the road closings

BRUTUS_T_HOG

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Chains make a 200% improvement, I don't know if I would use them though considering the recommendation in the owners manual.

Just load up a few hundred pounds over the rear wheels and take it easy. Gentle inputs from the pedals.

I usually run 800lb in my pickup and it makes a world of improvement

linehaul

Reaction score
Slow down you will be fine, 4 wheel drive is NO better than 2 wheel drive on ice. 4wheel drive will help in snow/slush when taking off from a stop. Chains if not properly installed will come loose and tear up the body, besides some municipalities dont allow them on the streets. Keep the largest cheapest bag of cat litter you can find to assist with traction if your stuck. I keep 2 bags in the Semi cab to help me get out of unsalted docks. People up here drive with 4x4 ego and usually end up in the ditch.

Last edited:

Gzes

the drifting 2dr
Reaction score
I haven't even been using my 4x4.. Just the beater Taurus lol

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mccubbinsjl