Driver side mirror is leaking???

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

laneo2494

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I noticed today that my side mirror on the driver side was oozing out some brownish liquid at the bottom of the actual glass part of the mirror. I wiped it away with a cloth and the liquid had the color and consistency of an engine oil. does anyone have any clue what this would be? I also noticed that when looking in the mirror the cars/objects seem to have "ghosts" or "doubles". I have the power heated mirrors on my truck. Any ideas???

puckhead

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Has it been rainy or dirty there lately? Did you recently wash the truck? That is strange. I am pretty sure there is nothing in the mirror that has to do with liquid anything.

sumo

dn ʇǝƃ ʇuɐɔ & llǝɟ ı
Reaction score
Decaying animal? Do you have turn signals in the mirrors? Maybe it blinker fluid

attachment.jpg

SunlitComet

OBS Jedi-Do Good
Reaction score
it is possible the motor gear box may use oil instead of grease and may be leaking but have never disassembled one before. The ghost effect you see is because the are two surfaces reflecting light, the front of the glass and silver reflector in the back of the glass. Sometime mirrors that were not manufactured very well can stand out. Also can happen when looking from a wide angle.

---------- Post added at 07:13 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:07 PM ----------

Decaying animal? Do you have turn signals in the mirrors? Maybe it blinker fluid

attachment.jpg

Cute

Last edited:

puckhead

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ha! I thought of that blinker fluid stuff too :laughing1:

OP
OP
L

laneo2494

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
i do not have the blinkers in the mirrors. and ive never noticed the ghost before either until it started leaking. (the mirror on right side does not have the ghost effect). im still baffled by this.

OP
OP
L

laneo2494

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I did some research and found someone with the same problem:

"I hate to say it, but it's likely your mirror has sprung a leak. I have the same problem. Look around the bottom edge of the mirror for leaking oil. The mirrors have a self dimming feature that requires them to have an oil inside them. When they start to leak, you see the normal image and the self dimmed image - two images"

apparently its from the auto dimming feature?

Diller

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I noticed today that my side mirror on the driver side was oozing out some brownish liquid at the bottom of the actual glass part of the mirror. I wiped it away with a cloth and the liquid had the color and consistency of an engine oil. does anyone have any clue what this would be? I also noticed that when looking in the mirror the cars/objects seem to have "ghosts" or "doubles". I have the power heated mirrors on my truck. Any ideas???

That may be the fluid in the glass for the heated mirrors or auto-dimming mirrors.

SunlitComet

OBS Jedi-Do Good
Reaction score
Basically a liquid crystal display setup.

Did not know you had dimming mirrors.

Sorry that what I mentioned before did not apply in your case.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jmart157

Latest posts