Driver information center is dim

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Martinjmpr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Did a search and couldn't find anything.

Last few days driving around with the sun low in the sky I found that during bright sunlight the DIC (Driver Information Center) "washes out" and is hard to see. Is there a fix for this? I know about the PRND321 light being dim and there is a fix for that (which I also need) but wondering if anyone else has the same issue with the DIC.

I know there are companies that will rebuild the instrument panel to fix stepper motor issues, do they do anything to brighten the DIC or PRND321 displays?

nofaz

Reaction score
I have a 2013 Yukon Denali with the same issue. I cannot make the driver info center bright enough to see while driving in bright sunlight. Sunglasses only compound issue. Is there a fix or hack to improve the brightness? Not having a schematic I can only assume that the level of brightness is supplied by the BCM?

Big Mama

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Assuming the dial is turned all the way up. Not sure where you are but in Virginia we used to have our inspection sticker in the bottom middle of windshield. Never thought anything of it until the changed to bottom left corner bc the sticker blocked the sensor fooling it to think it was night and turning the DIC lights down.

OP
OP
Martinjmpr

Martinjmpr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, after 3 years of owning the Suburban I can confidently say, "no, there is not a fix for this." The DIC is simply not readable in bright light, that's just the way it is.

I even had my instrument cluster rebuilt by Circuit Board Medics (which fixed the dim PRND321 indicator just fine) but the DIC still washes out in bright sunlight.

I always have to take off my sunglasses to read it, especially this time of year when the sun is low in the sky.

nofaz

Reaction score
Assuming the dial is turned all the way up. Not sure where you are but in Virginia we used to have our inspection sticker in the bottom middle of windshield. Never thought anything of it until the changed to bottom left corner bc the sticker blocked the sensor fooling it to think it was night and turning the DIC lights down.
Thanks for the quick reply! Unfortunately there are no stickers on the bottom of either side of the windshield and the dash control does work. At night it too bright, it turn it down as far as it will go. If I don't find a solution this week think I'll go to the junkyard and buy a GM instrument cluster out of a similar year/vehicle. No doubt there is a voltage regulator in there I can mess with and make it brighter. Might try and contact GM to see if they have any knowledge of the problem. Thanks again!

OP
OP
Martinjmpr

Martinjmpr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the quick reply! Unfortunately there are no stickers on the bottom of either side of the windshield and the dash control does work. At night it too bright, it turn it down as far as it will go. If I don't find a solution this week think I'll go to the junkyard and buy a GM instrument cluster out of a similar year/vehicle. No doubt there is a voltage regulator in there I can mess with and make it brighter. Might try and contact GM to see if they have any knowledge of the problem. Thanks again!

Since you have a 2013 you might try reposting this in the GMT 900 section of the forum. You could get some better info there. ;)

https://www.tahoeyukonforum.com/categories/2007-2014-tahoe-yukon-escalade-models.3/

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jmiller727

Latest posts