Driver door opening sound

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jason101

Reaction score
When I open my driver door in my 2017 Tahoe LT, I get some type of mechanical noise that lasts for about 2 or 3 seconds that sounds like it's coming from under the running board towards the rear. It only happens after I unlock the vehicle and open the door. Not during any subsequent reopens. Sounds almost like an HID headlight transformer (which I don't have) becuase I hear a similar sound in my Honda Odyssey. Any thoughts?

Coronado126

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Yeah I get the same thing, open door, weird clicking sound. I figure it's either the fuel pump clicking on to prime up the system before startup, or like you mentioned, the HID's kicking on.

Its_Shaun12

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I don't have an answer but do share the same question. I've had my 17 LT for 3 months now and have been wondering what it might be. My first thought was the memory seats adjusting but I've confirmed that isn't what it is.

Blueinterceptor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have that sound too. I thought it was the shocks (I have max towing)
Charging up. Leveling if you will

Spilly

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
The only sound I've heard like that is the rear auto leveling air suspension. I have a '16 Escalade so not sure if you Tahoe has it as well.

OP
OP
J

Jason101

Reaction score
I've heard the rear auto leveling air suspension every time I hook up my camper, but that only kicks in when the truck is running and that sounds like a small air compressor.

sickk23

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have that sound too. I thought it was the shocks (I have max towing)
Charging up. Leveling if you will
The compression comes on after you start it.

The sound when you open the door is the fuel pump. My BMW does it too only louder and longer.

It's a new feature for the 2017 Silverado so I'm assuming that's when the SUVs got it too since that's when they got active grill shutters.

OP
OP
J

Jason101

Reaction score
Thanks. Makes sense based on where I here it coming from. Wonder why the fuel pump would be running when the vehicle is not on though.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks. Makes sense based on where I here it coming from. Wonder why the fuel pump would be running when the vehicle is not on though.

Because it figure if you open the door it will be soon so it's priming the fuel rail. There's a lot of stuff running when the car is not running. Tests are being performed all the time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rick9667

Latest posts