Drive Shaft Angle Issue

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

AJCHAR

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hey All. I'm new here, just got a 1999 2 dr Z71. Its got a rough country lift, looks like about 7" and my local mech says the D/S from the transfer case to the rear end is to extreme. He showed it to me and it doesn't look right but I'm not real familiar with lifted trucks. Ive been trying to find a transfer case lowering kit to help take some of the angle out but can't find anything that is supposed to fit. Anyone out there have any experience with this or have a suggestion. My mech seems to think I could have serious issues, like shearing the shaft if I drive highway driving so I need to get this fixed. Any Constructive suggestions and inputs would be greatly appreciated. Thanks all.

Bill 1960

Testing the Limits
Reaction score
Pictures showing the complete shaft end to end and closeups of each end?

OP
OP
A

AJCHAR

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
DDA45A8B-6653-4D59-8C59-FF782C858407.jpeg

Attachments

• AD8A052F-460A-421C-8E71-FD5ACAA8AB1A.jpeg
    AD8A052F-460A-421C-8E71-FD5ACAA8AB1A.jpeg
    149.5 KB · Views: 6
  • AEC82674-CF9D-4272-AD4B-C77F3597FBAC.jpeg
    AEC82674-CF9D-4272-AD4B-C77F3597FBAC.jpeg
    192.8 KB · Views: 6
OP
OP
A

AJCHAR

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Those are what I have. Im outta the country right now so if those don’t help I’ll have to get some better ones when I return. I appreciate any advice.

Bill 1960

Testing the Limits
Reaction score
When you can, take a picture of the front of the shaft, from the side, showing how much it’s inserted into the transfer case. May be a bit short. Hold a tape measure beside or above it so someone can compare your insertion depth to stock.

Jack up the rear by the frame and let the rear axle droop to full extension. Does the driveshaft hit the cross member?
Take another picture of the front end of the DS lifted like this.

I see the rear is using lift blocks I do not like those. You’ll have a lot of axle wrap under torque, which will increase and decrease how much the slip yoke is engaged at the transfer case. Your mechanic is probably giving good advice.

One solution may be get rid of the lift blocks and use lift springs and a new proper length DS for the lift.

If you are going to seriously wheel it a better option is a slip yoke eliminator and new custom DS with it’s own slip yoke.

Pirate 4x4 is probably a better forum for vehicles with this much lift to find some experienced advice.

OP
OP
A

AJCHAR

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
When you can, take a picture of the front of the shaft, from the side, showing how much it’s inserted into the transfer case. May be a bit short. Hold a tape measure beside or above it so someone can compare your insertion depth to stock.

Jack up the rear by the frame and let the rear axle droop to full extension. Does the driveshaft hit the cross member?
Take another picture of the front end of the DS lifted like this.

I see the rear is using lift blocks I do not like those. You’ll have a lot of axle wrap under torque, which will increase and decrease how much the slip yoke is engaged at the transfer case. Your mechanic is probably giving good advice.

One solution may be get rid of the lift blocks and use lift springs and a new proper length DS for the lift.

If you are going to seriously wheel it a better option is a slip yoke eliminator and new custom DS with it’s own slip yoke.

Pirate 4x4 is probably a better forum for vehicles with this much lift to find some experienced advice.
Thanks for the reply Bill, I’ll check out that other forum you mentioned and get the additional pics when I’m able.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dprdmd