Door speakers with no amp, waste of time?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Shadow711

Reaction score
Installed 4 of the JBL 628s tonight. Easy install. Very impressed with the sound quality for just over $100. Only complaint is that the screws that came with the speakers were trash, but I had some laying around that worked. Prolly took me 1.5hrs.

Stam2000

Reaction score
I've been being lazy but have 2 sets of 638s to install

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Tapatalk

Rivieraracing

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Looks like I'm gonna be buying some JBL's since I don't want to replace the head unit or even add an amp at this time! Actually looking at the 638's as well right now! Thanks for the reviews guys!

Rivieraracing

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Actually......just ordered a set for the front! Should come tomorrow so can't wait now to install them since my passenger front one is blown!

Rivieraracing

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Did you order 638 or 628. Let us know how you like them

I bought the 638 ones and actually got some time tonight to install them quickly before it got too dark out! Sooo glad I checked out this thread, the old Bose fronts had seen better days and the passenger side one had been rigged up to sort of work for years now. Got to drive it a bit afterwards tonight to crank it up real quick and it's sooo nice to be able to let it roar without the crappy blown out sound!
Makes me kinda want to move them to the back and hook up my old school Pioneer component setup with an amp now for the front........but that will never happen! lol
Thanks guys for the reviews, super happy so far with the results!

DPGDirk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Did you need any speaker mounting hardware, if so what?
I bought all new #8 metric crews, lock nuts and washers. The mounting screws that come with the speakers are a joke. Also had to cut the factory plugs off the door wires and solder now clips on that matched the new speakers. Had to drill new mounting holes on all 4 speakers to match the mounting backing plates.

You will want to google the wiring colors. POS and NEG are not what you will expect and my doors didn't match all of those.

I HAD to modify/enlarge the rear door speaker holes to work. They are definitely not big enough for a 6.5" speaker!!!

Stam2000

Reaction score
Finally got around to doing mine. Sounds good

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Tapatalk

Rivieraracing

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Did you need any speaker mounting hardware, if so what?

Nope, just use the metal rings that come with the kit. The screws like mentioned earlier in the thread really suck so might wanna come up with some of those! I had both speakers installed in about 45 minutes!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rbreard