DONE! Homemade CAI with ram air!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

04ctd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
that CAI is fine.

you will not pull water into the engine, because of the break between the hose & the box at the bottom.

it won't fill up with dirt & gravel, because the fog light hole is so small.

what little stuff that gets in there, like sand sized gravel, won't travel up the convoluted tube.

some of that stuff happened with the old Fox Body "March Ram Air" but it had a 2 inch by 11 inch opening that was inches off the asphalt. it won't with your setup, but i think you will get enough fresh air from the fog light to keep hot engine bay air out of your air box.

but, you GOTTA KRYLON that PVC! the best is "trunk splatter" it has a texture to it,

and then I usually put a JEGS sticker or something on it.

it looks fine, should work fine, just check the box & filter with your next few oil changes, and it should be good.

diff strokes / diff folks, it's all good.

OP
OP
White07Tahoe

White07Tahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
that CAI is fine.

you will not pull water into the engine, because of the break between the hose & the box at the bottom.

it won't fill up with dirt & gravel, because the fog light hole is so small.

what little stuff that gets in there, like sand sized gravel, won't travel up the convoluted tube.

some of that stuff happened with the old Fox Body "March Ram Air" but it had a 2 inch by 11 inch opening that was inches off the asphalt. it won't with your setup, but i think you will get enough fresh air from the fog light to keep hot engine bay air out of your air box.

but, you GOTTA KRYLON that PVC! the best is "trunk splatter" it has a texture to it,

and then I usually put a JEGS sticker or something on it.

it looks fine, should work fine, just check the box & filter with your next few oil changes, and it should be good.

diff strokes / diff folks, it's all good.

That's what I was thinking. I really wanted to get black PVC but I didn't know where to get it. I was in a rush to do it because I was getting my BLackbear tune the next day and now I am out of town. I plan on painting it when I get back home and I will prob end up taking out the "ram air" crap. I needed it done quick and I thought I would try something different. Thanks for the advice!!

wardo

Reaction score
Yeah man don’t worry about sucking in rocks or small animals into that opening lol. The engine is drawing air, but it’s won’t even be close to enough suction to worry about.
I tell you the only thing you need to know is you will have a ton of dirt to clean up on the regular.

It’s a super dusty out here in the desert, I ran my car with no air damn for one week and the entire engine bay was filthy. You should have seen my filter.

BOSS

The People's A D M I N
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Great idea, just clean it up a little and you're set. I would go with the volant tube, it goes right where you have yours but iirc it has a wider angle on it so it doesn't scoop so much debris.

Easy on the man, he's got the right idea..just needs a push :)

B

Cobra

Full Access Member
Reaction score
awesome. It will work! I don't think debris or rain water will be an issue. The only problem with those is if you actually drive it into water (flood) Then yes it will be like your engine taking a straw and sucking up water. I cut the air box in a 94 bird ramming air from a lower bumper vent up to a K&N in the box. Worked & sounded great till I got stuck in a Flash flood. Good luck bro.

Last edited:

TheFuzz

Idiot Police
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sucking rocks and rain up into the airbox? Really? Short of him sticking a jet engine under his hood, that's not going to happen. Even if he submerges the tube completely he'd be fine - the ram air tube isn't sealed to the air box, so the motor will draw from the engine bay.

The amount of extra dirt and debris that will end up in there will be negligible at best - unless he lives in a particularly dusty area, in which case he'd be dealing with more frequent filter changes anyway.

Aside from looking like he built a water heater under his hood, I like it. ;)

Last edited:
Reaction score
If its stupid, but if it works, its not stupid.... or something like that. Great idea, now to try something like that on my '94 5.7L TBI......

This forum will be the end of my relationship, so many project ideas, my spouse would think I am having an affair if she could not see me wedged under the hood...

sjsquid

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I was thinking of doing something similar till i saw some intake kits on ebay for around $40 bucks. Theyll probably work just as good too.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DarkHearse