DONE! Homemade CAI with ram air!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

White07Tahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I want to start off by saying please don't judge me on some of the craftsmen ship, I know some of it is pretty ghetto. I did this last week right before I got my in person Black Bear tune. I wanted to use the stock air box but allow more air to be able to flow through it. I wanted to try to figure out a way to have a ram air style intake also. First I noticed that inside of the fender well where the stock box sucks air from, there are 3 flaps that were pretty much close so I opened them.
062-2.jpg
Next I cut open the bottom of the box to get more air into it.
074-1.jpg
075.jpg
I wanted to find a way to get more air to the box by running a pipe from the fog light hole(since I don't have fog lights). I noticed that the stock intake tube was the perfect size, so I cut all of the extra crap off of it and ran it to right behind the fog light hole.
077-1.jpg
079.jpg
View from under car, zip tied into place.
080.jpg
View from outside of the fog light hole before I centered it. I have since cut a hole in the fog light cap so it looks a little cleaner.
081-1.jpg
What it looks like with the box back in place.
083-1.jpg
The final product! (I really wanted to use black PVC but the Home Depot by my house didn't have any.)
086.jpg

List of things used
4" 90* elbow with a male/female end
2' of 4" black PVC pipe
2' of 1/4" flex fuel line
4" to 3" coupling
4" coupling
1/4" to 5/8" barbed fitting
1/4" hose clamp

Took me a few hour to do bc if the "ram air" part of it. I couldn't be more happy with it!! It sounds loud and mean! This intake+BlackBear tune=perfect running truck.
Know anything I can do different/better?

sumo

dn ʇǝƃ ʇuɐɔ & llǝɟ ı
Reaction score
haha nice. get rid of that pipe. Ive seen replacment tubes that are nicer

A86200796.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
White07Tahoe

White07Tahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I know its not nice looking but it is very functional. It is a 4" tube with no unnecessary turns, this mean you get more and better air flow. I never have to look at it so I don't care what it looks like. Plus it only cost about $40 for everything!

fixxxer88

Reaction score
AWESOME! And i thought I was the only one with an 18 dollar PVC CAI! May not be the best thing out there, but for the price, its not bad. Also, the PVC resonates the suction noise, makes the engine sound more mean IMO.

stevek

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Enjoy changing that filter every 1000 miles. WAY too much shit will get in there.

sumo

dn ʇǝƃ ʇuɐɔ & llǝɟ ı
Reaction score
yea but the box allows more debris to get in and collect

Sickblutahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Enjoy changing that filter every 1000 miles. WAY too much shit will get in there.

+1 With that lower tube being so low and exposed it's gonna be like a vacuum cleaner for the road your gonna suck a whole lot of crap in there!

sumo

dn ʇǝƃ ʇuɐɔ & llǝɟ ı
Reaction score
yea that why i didnt do the volant scoop. lotta stuff can get forced up there when going 70+ mph

2005yukonxl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
gonna suck lots of water up too during rain storms. and it does look kinda ghetto, sorry. at least u could paint the pvc with spray paint so it doesnt look like a toilet in there? not sure what kind, if any, gaines its actually going to do for ya but at least u like it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MrLeritz