Does the tahoe record driving/accidents?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Turbineguy

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Just bought an rst with the lux package and was wondering if all these fancy cameras do any good in an accident for evidence or is everyone just investing in dash cams? Seems like it’d be a nice feature to have in the case of an accident…

Micahsd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don’t think they’re that smart. Would be nice if they were as it seems crazy to me to have to add a dash cam for that capability.

OP
OP
T

Turbineguy

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I don’t think they’re that smart. Would be nice if they were as it seems crazy to me to have to add a dash cam for that capability.
Exactly for the $ we’re spending on these things if the cameras are already installed it should be an easy add

Tinbadtin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Should be relatively easy to add through a software update if GM is listening. My BMW has live recorder that essentially starts recording from all cameras when it 1) detects an accident or 2) the camera button is pressed for couple seconds. It will always record 20 secs before press / accident and 20 after giving you a 40 sec clip. Pretty smart. Teslas have similar feature.

peyc2

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I add a front/rear. and driver dash cam. I thought you should be able to access the cameras to record. but i dint think you can. Funny, but Teslas all have the ability, all you have to so is install a properly formated SD card into the slot, and it records ALL camera views. Amount of time is depending on the size SD card you put in.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
the only that gets recorded is if you a have a airbag deployment then the little black box records data only, no video

kurtibm

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hidden away in Brandon's recently passed infrastructure bill is a measure to install vehicle kill switches into every new car, truck, and SUV sold in this country. The kill switch, which is referred to as a "safety device", must “passively monitor the performance of a driver of a motor vehicle to accurately identify whether that driver may be impaired.” In other words, Big Brother will constantly be monitoring how you drive. If you do something the system has been programmed to recognize as driver impairment, your car could just shut off/slow down, etc. This kill switch “safety” system would be open, or in other words there would be a backdoor. That would allow police or other 'government authorities' to access it whenever. Would they need a warrant to do that? Likely not. Even better, hackers could access the backdoor and shut down your vehicle.

robhotdog

Reaction score
the only that gets recorded is if you a have a airbag deployment then the little black box records data only, no video
The SDM..black box has data stored at the time of airbag deployment..10 second loop..it is only accessed by GM if needed in a lawsuit. The SDM must be replaced after deployment. Engine will not start. So..nothing to see I'm a retired Gm tech..done a bunch of these

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The SDM..black box has data stored at the time of airbag deployment..10 second loop..it is only accessed by GM if needed in a lawsuit. The SDM must be replaced after deployment. Engine will not start. So..nothing to see I'm a retired Gm tech..done a bunch of these
The engine will start and if it can be driven it will drive, you will just have a airbag light.....I have repaired some, a used sdm (without srs being deployed) can be used the vin just has to be relearned, there are 3rd party vendors that erase and reset the sdm as well. when GM want's hundreds or even thousands of dollars to replace a sdm people find a way.....

Roturn

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
If you dig into the settings, there is terms that ask you to accept continuous feedback on your driving habits. I'm not sure how deep that goes and whether it's similar to the way insurance companies track your driving using a monitoring system. I do believe, as with much of the data collected is private and not sold to outside inteties. But it's still there. The world revolves around data analytics, to do accomplish this as many data points are needed. This is how Google and Apple really make money. Indetifying trends that help maximize profits. No different from any other consumer data points. Banks, retailers, and anyone else that provides services do the same thing. No tin hat will prevent prevent this. Again, privacy is still required, your specific information is protected.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Off Road Pedia