Does exhaust help performance or just sound?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

photoryan

Reaction score
Since there are soooooo many threads on exhausts, it was taking too long to figure out if an exhaust (borla, corsa, magnaflow, etc) actually helps with performance, or it is more of a sound modification.

I want to figure that part out before I get my BB Autocal. I did the resonator delete (which I know is just sound related), but was wondering if going with a new exhaust will actually give a slight performance boost.

AtomicHoe094

Atomichoe094
Reaction score
of course, anything that gets air in quickly and exits quickly without tons of back pressure is a good thing. Sometimes it might give you a mpg increase. Depends also how many things you change on the truck. change to headers to highflow cats and such, you should pick up some good hp.

yukon2004

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What I've always heard is that unless you're going to do the headers and cats, the "performance" will be minimal. Just what I've heard. I had true duals on an F-150 5.4L, but did not replace cats or headers and I did not notice any change other than the sound.

emann_01

Full Access Member
Reaction score
cats on our trucks are already high flow...no need to replace

headers is a different story

sumo

dn ʇǝƃ ʇuɐɔ & llǝɟ ı
Reaction score
sometimes too little back pressure is a bad thing.

AtomicHoe094

Atomichoe094
Reaction score
Stick with the name brand stuff and the gains will all be in the same area. ******, LPP, stainless works, etc etc..

How can factory cats with all this "go green shit" and emissions be high flow? ill believe it when i see something about these.. ill take you up on that one..

Sumo- You are right, but doing a header back system will still be alright if you use the right tube size. Using a 4" all the way back will give you problems tho. haha

sumo

dn ʇǝƃ ʇuɐɔ & llǝɟ ı
Reaction score
Stick with the name brand stuff and the gains will all be in the same area. ******, LPP, stainless works, etc etc..

How can factory cats with all this "go green shit" and emissions be high flow? ill believe it when i see something about these.. ill take you up on that one..

Sumo- You are right, but doing a header back system will still be alright if you use the right tube size. Using a 4" all the way back will give you problems tho. haha

yea that what i was talking about. Ive seen people go way to big on exhaust and it ended up hurting performance

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thekenstar

Latest posts