Does a starter on a 6.2L just die?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Sparkyz07Denali

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
So I’ve had my Denali almost a month. It was parked for a few days while I enjoyed my days off.

Get in it to go to work and nothing. Had battery tested. It was bad. Put a new battery in it. No change. Turn the key and nothing.

No click or even an attempt at starter engagement.

Going to replace the positive cable, and the starter. They both look corroded.

Just odd that it suddenly just stopped cranking.

It sat for 3-4 days

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So I’ve had my Denali almost a month. It was parked for a few days while I enjoyed my days off.

Get in it to go to work and nothing. Had battery tested. It was bad. Put a new battery in it. No change. Turn the key and nothing.

It sat for 3-4 days
if the battery cables look funky it could just simply be that, double check the ground and if you have the "mega" fuse on the firewall next to the battery clean that up as well.
these trucks are super finicky with electrical power if it is not getting the correct voltage it can all kinds of weird stuff.

OP
OP
Sparkyz07Denali

Sparkyz07Denali

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
if the battery cables look funky it could just simply be that, double check the ground and if you have the "mega" fuse on the firewall next to the battery clean that up as well.
Cleaned the connections on the mega fuse when I replaced the battery. But didn’t crawl under the truck and look. When I did just look under. Saw your typical blue green corrosion on the wire that was exposed.

wjburken

Supporting Member
Reaction score

It sat for 3-4 days
Yes.

I had my 2007 in my garage for about 4 weeks until I got the cam and lifters replaced. When I rolled it out of the garage to start it up, nothing. Tried a new battery. Nothing. First step in trouble shooting is look at what you just did, so I went over everything that I just had a part and checked all the connections, etc.

Then I noticed the starter relay was clicking, but nothing from the starter. $190 later and a new starter, it started up just fine. Old starter was dead as a door nail when I tested it on my bench and when the shop I took it to tested it. Ran fine for the first 270K of the vehicle and just said F-it I guess.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Cleaned the connections on the mega fuse when I replaced the battery. But didn’t crawl under the truck and look. When I did just look under. Saw your typical blue green corrosion on the wire that was exposed.
ya the starter cables corrode also. could be the starter died from just sitting you could try giving it a smack with hammer if it goes after that then it's probably time to replace it anyway.

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I replaced my starter at 140k miles. It just suddenly gave up the ghost. Don't use a crap brand starter, or you'll be under there changing it again.

OP
OP
Sparkyz07Denali

Sparkyz07Denali

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Starter was dead.

I mean it ran when parked. LoL

New starter, battery and positive cable.

Thanks for the help everyone.

I’m Still floored the starter just died like that.

Tonyv__

Full Access Member
Reaction score

It sat for 3-4 days
In my opinion I’ve never had a starter slowly die like my Denali did. They used to just flat out stop with no signs like you’re experiencing. so when my starter was dying I was actually confused and replaced a couple parts before I even considered the starter

Tap it with a hammer then try to start it

EDIT. I’m late to the party. But I would of love to known if the hammer trick still works.. it worked on my old ex gfs Buick Regal, worked on my buddies s10 and worked on my Camry. I carried a hammer around for weeks because I couldn’t afford a starter at the time and I never knew when it was gonna not start. Couple taps with the hammer and it would start every single time lol

OP
OP
Sparkyz07Denali

Sparkyz07Denali

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I tried the best it technique. Nope. No joy this time.

Has also worked for me in the past.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DBPA2024

Latest posts