Do our $$$$$ Escalade's not have an integrated brake controller?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bldn10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
FWIW my '02 w/ Z82 HD Trailering Equip. package was wired for a controller. I bought a Tekonsha and it plugged right in and works great.

MT Elk Hunter

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I had assumed that just like the other GM SUV's that the Escalade had a trailer brake controller, but that they shunned the buttons/levers for a more refine look with electronics. Yet the other day I was looking through the manual to see how to bring it up on the touch screen, only to find little to nothing about towing, much less a brake controller.
Thus I must now assume GM's flagship luxury SUV does not have one, despite costing upwards of $90k for a fully decked out one.

So let me know if I am just making an incorrect assumption?
If I am not and the Escalade does not come with one, what on earth could be the reasoning. Do they think people with Escalade's do not tow things?

FWIW and depending on what you are towing, the Escalade is not the preferred tow vehicle due to their tall wheels. Google: truck wheel size and trailering. I have been towing a race trailer for over 25 years with Suburban's and Denali's and most recently purchased a new 2017 Denali with P275/55R20 to pull my 28' trailer. It's max'd out, but handles it fine. I just wish GM would option the proper trailering mirrors for the Denali and make a 3/4 ton version again!

MidwestMike

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Then why tout it's towing capacity?
Lets face it, no one is going to tow 8k without brakes functioning on the trailer.
Heck I can see a potential lawsuit for those who assume it is integrated once the 7 way connector from the trailer to the Escalade is inserted.

Towing capacity does not mean all towing accessories are included.
It is the towing capacity...

You need to add the controller,
and there is no more chance of a lawsuit than someone who clips a car changing lanes because they did not provide you towing mirrors.

The only lawsuit I could picture is if they did integrate it with the touch screen.
Making you go through menus when you need to quickly apply the brakes manually.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
...the Escalade is not the preferred tow vehicle due to their tall wheels.

I just wish GM would option the proper trailering mirrors for the Denali and make a 3/4 ton version again!

In older manuals, the tow rating for trucks with 22" wheels was lowered to a flat 5,000 pounds. Now that would still require electric brakes but I guess they figured the few hundred Esky owners who do tow are pulling Jet Skis at most.

GM is still using the same 2500 chassis on the K2s, just not yet for the public last time I looked. Duraburb though had one for sale recently.

OP
OP
V

Vector

Full Access Member
Reaction score
In older manuals, the tow rating for trucks with 22" wheels was lowered to a flat 5,000 pounds. Now that would still require electric brakes but I guess they figured the few hundred Esky owners who do tow are pulling Jet Skis at most.

GM is still using the same 2500 chassis on the K2s, just not yet for the public last time I looked. Duraburb though had one for sale recently.

If I understand your post correctly, do my stock 22's reduce my capacity below what the specs for towing?

PG01

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Is there a honey badger in that photo, or are you referring to the Esky without a hitch cover?
I was being a wiseass but if you
Zoom in, he got 22’s and a pretty well used looking drop hitch. Dont know what he’s towing tho...

To answer your question above, i believe with 22’s it does lower your trailer weight rating because the sidewall of the tire is smaller and the load rating on the tire is probably lower than say a 20 or 18 inch tire.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If I understand your post correctly, do my stock 22's reduce my capacity below what the specs for towing?

Maybe. Better check your door jamb sticker, owner's manual and maybe even the brochure. I'd seen it before somewhere for the older ones but after a quick looksee I cannot find anything concrete right now; also have splitting headache.

noob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I towed my dad’s 26 ft robalo center console with my 2010 escalade a few Years back. Haven’t tried with my 2017 escalade. I have 24 inch rims on the 2010 and it towed without issue. No brakes on the trailer, but it tracked fine. Needed to brake early though, but we live 5-10 min away from the boat launch.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aye_rod

Latest posts